Sign in to follow this  

What Gear to be in!?!?!?!?

WHAT UUUUUUUUUUUUP!

I got's me some questions for u guys. I ride me a kx125, and I was wondering, does it matter if I'm in 1st or 2nd gear in corners and off of jumps that are right out of corners. I noticed that jimmy decotis said that he went on some corners in only 1st gear, so I'm wondering if I should do this. Some times when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear, my bike boggs down and requires too much clutch work. Some people say that being in 1st or 2nd gear makes the wheel spin out of ruts, or makes it uncontrollable in the air. People say to try to stay in 3rd gear as often as possible, but that just seems to slow me down. I haven't had any problems jumping and cornering in 1st or 2nd gear so far, but I just want to know if I should just ride in 3rd.

Also, what can I do to shift quickly?

Thankya kindly!

ride more is the answer to all your questions. Shifting, you can't tell what gear you need to be in? If the motor isn't in the top or in the power band, you need to shift down, trying to lug a two stroke in a gear to high will eat clutch pads. Use the side of your boot to shift up quickly, I never put my foot under the shifter anymore

First off, Jimmy was kinda joking about being in 1st gear, I highly doubt he really was in first very much with how fast he rides.

Obviously the track, gearing of your bike and how quick you are as a rider, make a huge difference. There are a lot of variables when you're just a beginner, trying to figure things out. I can sit here and say all day long that 1st gear shouldn't ever be used, even on a tight track. But thats because I've geared my bike to basically bypass 1st gear because the neutral block on the tranny can cause issues if you don't use the clutch to change gears (I don't waste my energy changing gears with the clutch). I've got a 6 gear tranny in the KTM, so I gear my bike to use 2nd - 5th and 6th is kind of an over-drive for tracks that need the extra speed.

In my opinion, to ride a 125 properly, you need to be in the meat of the powerband AND be smart about the gears you choose. For instance, in rhythm sections, if I know I'm gonna need 4th for the second part of the section, I need to enter the section in 3rd because its hard to upshift 2 gears quickly. So I have to then figure out how to clear the first jump in 3rd, right out of a corner, its all about clutch work and maintaining speed. Bogging the bike is NOT an option because your clutch is constantly being feathered to prevent bogging and to keep the RPM's up. So yes, to do it right, you are constantly feathering the clutch out of corners. Its important to be in the right gear for the situation, that's something you learn over time, its not something that can be just taught because every situation is different. But you will learn over time what works on YOUR bike and then that's what you'll use.

When I had a KX125, it was geared 13/51 and my current KTM 125 is geared 14/51. You should look at your sprockets, see what your gearing is.

WHAT UUUUUUUUUUUUP!

I got's me some questions for u guys. I ride me a kx125, and I was wondering, does it matter if I'm in 1st or 2nd gear in corners and off of jumps that are right out of corners. I noticed that jimmy decotis said that he went on some corners in only 1st gear, so I'm wondering if I should do this. Some times when I'm in 2nd or 3rd gear, my bike boggs down and requires too much clutch work. Some people say that being in 1st or 2nd gear makes the wheel spin out of ruts, or makes it uncontrollable in the air. People say to try to stay in 3rd gear as often as possible, but that just seems to slow me down. I haven't had any problems jumping and cornering in 1st or 2nd gear so far, but I just want to know if I should just ride in 3rd.

Also, what can I do to shift quickly?

Thankya kindly!

Not sure why u r asking us what gear u shud ride in :smirk: we dont know your bike ( ie gearing , jetting , mods, etc ) ... seems to me the answer you are looking for can be found in the magic of ... SEAT TIME :bonk:

Ya, youll figure it out the more you ride, oh and Jimmy D was only in 1st gear cause it was a 2 stroke shoot and was trying to keep it pinned all day long, and more than likely you cant ride like Jimmy D anyways so just keep it revved...

Actually, some of the pros teach guys how to do sections in second gear only. the point is to show them just how much more they can get out of a motor / gear before they need to shift. "on it" means very different things to pros & newbies

ride more is the answer to all your questions. Shifting, you can't tell what gear you need to be in? If the motor isn't in the top or in the power band, you need to shift down, trying to lug a two stroke in a gear to high will eat clutch pads. Use the side of your boot to shift up quickly, I never put my foot under the shifter anymore

excellent... as well as your heel, depending on scenario.

Not sure about Towelie... But for the most part, the only time I use the clutch is for slipping...

Not sure about Towelie... But for the most part, the only time I use the clutch is for slipping...

Its hard to pull up on the lever with the side of your boot, unless you disengage the clutch. I've tried it on a multitude of bikes, never been successful, always wind up downshifting or missing the shift entirely.

Its hard to pull up on the lever with the side of your boot, unless you disengage the clutch. I've tried it on a multitude of bikes, never been successful, always wind up downshifting or missing the shift entirely.

Keep at it then Tye... I have been doing this technique for a long time on a bunch of bikes, 2t and 4t.... It works for me. Especially Coming out of left hander when your still leaned over and yoUr leg is just coming back. Other times too...

It probably depends on the bike. I ride an 05 yz250. I shift with the side of my boot like Towelie suggested. I usually dont use the clutch, just let off the gas for a split second and shift. So far no problems.:bonk:

Huh, well if ya'll can do it then sure as hell I can figure it out! LOL :smirk:

My shifting is so automatic, I haven't spent any time thinking about it in a year or so. I usually don't upshift in a corner, though I have before and I use my standard shifting method as my foot is already weighting the outside peg. I find it disrupts the bike too much to shift mid-corner, so I try to choose my corner gearing so I can grab a new gear on the exit. But I'm always game to try new tricks! :bonk:

Huh, well if ya'll can do it then sure as hell I can figure it out! LOL :smirk:

My shifting is so automatic, I haven't spent any time thinking about it in a year or so. I usually don't upshift in a corner, though I have before and I use my standard shifting method as my foot is already weighting the outside peg. I find it disrupts the bike too much to shift mid-corner, so I try to choose my corner gearing so I can grab a new gear on the exit. But I'm always game to try new tricks! :bonk:

that's the spirit Tye..! Don't skeered and remember, you are still relatively new to MX... according to your site. Also, different strokes for different folks with technique and style, etc. Better put all this knowledge to the test and race soon!!!

To answer the questions, yes I was taught to use the side of they boot, and the heel for the heel in certain ways, stand in front of my pegs on starts and yeah its a quick kick up 2nd to 3rd and pinned. No Tye I do not use my clutch very often at all. I also lug my thumper, I am not fast enough to be screaming in 4th tapped so I save my motor and chug it in the meat of the powerband, makes for smoother faster lap times for me, top 5 vet C guy, nothing special. Suspension set up is the key, if you can get your bike dialed so its not beating you up you will develop better technique, its worth paying a suspension guy that does track side to set up your bike for you

First off, Jimmy was kinda joking about being in 1st gear, I highly doubt he really was in first very much with how fast he rides.

Obviously the track, gearing of your bike and how quick you are as a rider, make a huge difference. There are a lot of variables when you're just a beginner, trying to figure things out. I can sit here and say all day long that 1st gear shouldn't ever be used, even on a tight track. But thats because I've geared my bike to basically bypass 1st gear because the neutral block on the tranny can cause issues if you don't use the clutch to change gears (I don't waste my energy changing gears with the clutch). I've got a 6 gear tranny in the KTM, so I gear my bike to use 2nd - 5th and 6th is kind of an over-drive for tracks that need the extra speed.

In my opinion, to ride a 125 properly, you need to be in the meat of the powerband AND be smart about the gears you choose. For instance, in rhythm sections, if I know I'm gonna need 4th for the second part of the section, I need to enter the section in 3rd because its hard to upshift 2 gears quickly. So I have to then figure out how to clear the first jump in 3rd, right out of a corner, its all about clutch work and maintaining speed. Bogging the bike is NOT an option because your clutch is constantly being feathered to prevent bogging and to keep the RPM's up. So yes, to do it right, you are constantly feathering the clutch out of corners. Its important to be in the right gear for the situation, that's something you learn over time, its not something that can be just taught because every situation is different. But you will learn over time what works on YOUR bike and then that's what you'll use.

When I had a KX125, it was geared 13/51 and my current KTM 125 is geared 14/51. You should look at your sprockets, see what your gearing is.

See, that's where I'm confused. If you are in 3rd or 4th gear in a corner, you might go smoother, but I could go faster in 2nd if I'm not afraid to pin it. I have tried to go into corners in 3rd gear, and 2nd pinned, and I was able to get out of the corner waaaaaaaaay faster when I pinned it in 2nd. (even though I crashed a few times cuz of the powa!) You have more power in 2nd gear, so wouldn't it make sense to be like Justin Barcia, get some big balls, and pin it?

And also, why will jumping in 2nd gear pinned change anything? Most people say not to pin it off a jump, but Whenever the pro's do that, they seem to jump just fine. If u learn to use ur clutch and rear brake in the air, wouldn't that make you faster, cuz u wouldn't need to shift as much?

I keep seeing people saying they dont use the clutch, but why? I usually just keep the throttle on and just time the clutch & shift right. When your shifting without the clutch though isnt that kinda hard on your gears and stuff? Jw cause I've never really tried it before

See, that's where I'm confused. If you are in 3rd or 4th gear in a corner, you might go smoother, but I could go faster in 2nd if I'm not afraid to pin it. I have tried to go into corners in 3rd gear, and 2nd pinned, and I was able to get out of the corner waaaaaaaaay faster when I pinned it in 2nd. (even though I crashed a few times cuz of the powa!) You have more power in 2nd gear, so wouldn't it make sense to be like Justin Barcia, get some big balls, and pin it?

Well it sounds to me like you might be missing the critical skill here which answers all your questions; using the clutch to generate drive. Slipping the clutch in situations where you're a gear too high will give you immediate drive, it will bring the speed of the bike almost instantaneously into the speed of the gear your in. So where you've got problems using 3rd because it doesn't have enough drive, you would use the clutch to generate that drive. In 2nd gear, the bike is all over the place, tries to do wheelies and the tire slides out from under you constantly. You will never generate drive if the rear is sliding and the front is off the ground. So being smooth is the key and thats where being in a gear higher where you need it, is critical.

I was working on this short quick section of track yesterday and I think its a good example. This is what we consider the "front" or "stadium" section of track because its fast, good place to throw whips and it has a little hill which is difficult to get right.

Sectioning Vet Track Up Hill

The video starts with me entering the track because I'm sectioning just the stadium section. So I'm in 3rd gear and as I'm exiting the little 90 degree corner, there is a double. Mind you, the entire time I'm exiting the corner, I'm slipping the clutch. When I land, I'm shifting to 4th for the 60ft table top jump. I generate so much drive from 3rd on landing that I don't even need to be on the throttle to clear the table top, just a little blip and I'm over. I stay in 4th through the rest of the section for the next little double and going up and down the hill. At the bottom of the hill, I downshift 1 gear into 3rd gear for the exit of that corner (which was all bumpy so I was being timid) and then work my way back up hill into a tight little 140 degree corner, which I totally missed the rut on and gave up the lap.

But it gives you an idea of WHY its important to be in the right gear. You can tell from the rev's I'm clearly in the meat of the powerband. You can also tell through the throttle application that in some places, I'm already going quick ENOUGH, so I've backed off.

And also, why will jumping in 2nd gear pinned change anything? Most people say not to pin it off a jump, but Whenever the pro's do that, they seem to jump just fine. If u learn to use ur clutch and rear brake in the air, wouldn't that make you faster, cuz u wouldn't need to shift as much?

Because you run out of powah quickly at higher RPM's, so its much more wise to keep the RPM's in check and manage them at all times based on the situations you run into.