Sign in to follow this  

FMF Titanium 4 or stock exhaust?

Hi!

Bought a 2002 CRF450R two months ago. Very pleased with it, tho a bit top-heavy compared to 2-strokes.

I got a FMF Titanium 4 which was mounted, took it of instantly cause of it's loud noise.

This is it: http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v303/heicher77/HPIM0204.jpg

I really want to use it, cause it looks much better (stock silencer is awful) but I want to make it quiet.

Found this: http://www.motorcycle-superstore.com/2/9/187/4141/ITEM/FMF-Titanium-4-Quiet-Core-Insert.aspx

Plus repacking the silencer. Will this make it as quiet as the stock silencer? Will it sound awful with the insert?

Anyone got one, please share your experiences!

Repack the muffler. It shouldnt be louder than the OEM muffler. With the FMF header and the muffler repacked and that insert it'll be considerably quieter than the OEM even when it was new. It'll be choked up a bit with that insert though.

Repack the muffler. It shouldnt be louder than the OEM muffler. With the FMF header and the muffler repacked and that insert it'll be considerably quieter than the OEM even when it was new. It'll be choked up a bit with that insert though.

I hope that's true, if so I will buy repacking-material today. But I'm having a hard time finding that insert not to expensive including shipping to Sweden.

What I've heard, the Titanium 4 is the loudest pipe there is, even with the insert, from what I've read.

is there some kind of optical illusion here , that header does not look like it would fit a 02 honda ............. like Shawn said , new packing and that insert will make it very quiet .also you hear wrong, that pipe with no packing is quieter than a Jemco

is there some kind of optical illusion here , that header does not look like it would fit a 02 honda ............. like Shawn said , new packing and that insert will make it very quiet .also you hear wrong, that pipe with no packing is quieter than a Jemco

Oh, that pipe is not mine, it's a picture I found searching for my pipe :bonk:

Hope so, will try repacking only first! :smirk:

I did repack it, and just tried it out. Sounds a lot louder than the OEM silencer I got (even tho that one hasn't been repacked at all).

I just bought the FMF Quiet Core Insert, hope that one helps!

Just FYI!

yeah try repacking the muffler first. If it gets wet once its ruined and gets really loud. A lot of people dont use wash plugs so water will get in and saturate the packing

I got the fmf power core 4 on my crf 450 and i agree its alot more vocal and crisp sounding then the oem as are all thee fmf line. packing will most defn. tone it down,and good point on the butt plug,keep that packing dry or no mas bueno!I much rather my ride to be screamin loud,hahaha.the sound of power is a beautiful thing.