Sign in to follow this  

AIR filter problems

i got my crf just 28 hours ago and im a solo rider just around a farm i clean the air filter on average every 2-5 hours or when its dirty depending on conditions my dad tells me im doing it way to often and that its just causing damage, i clean the box and all when i do it so how can it.

for the past 20 hours the air filter had been leaking dirt i did notice and thought it was just in wrong i tried different things each time but now its using oil but i think iv got the air cleaner right. so how often should i clean the filter if your riding solo. thanks

Just keep an eye on it. When it gets dirty, clean it. Guys that run MX need to pay much more attention than just riding around the farm. Use some grease around the seal of the filter so it makes an air tight seal between the filter and the box. Using a little bit of oil is pretty common. Not alot, but definately some.

Thats not too often. I do mine after every race. Like others have said just make sure you have a good seal. Using grease can help.

isnt there a way to seal up the box more?

That requires removing the sub frame and air box, disassembling the entire assembly. Anywhere there's glue that Honda uses to seal the box, clean and re-seal everything with hi-temp black RTV sealant. If you search the site, there's a bunch of how to do it threads.