Sign in to follow this  

Is the 150sx 2009 a reliable bike? Known issues?

I'm planning of getting myself a 150sx 2009. I think that it's a bike that fits me very well.

But i'm more worried about it's reputation. Everyone just says that the 144sx/150sx is a bike that blows the engine every 20hours.

But that's what they SAY, the funny part is that no one of these guys have ever owned a 150sx so i'm not sure if i can trust them.

So i'm asking u guys here that actually ride a 150sx!

Is there any known issues with the bike? If there is, how to make it a reliable bike?

I have searched a bit on the internet and found out that some guys have had problems with everthing from transmission to over-sized exhaust ports that snaps of the piston ring and make huge damage.

Thanks!

Not that I have any exprience with it, but I'm pretty sure that TheScreamingKiwi has ridden hers for whole seasons without rebuilds...

Maybe try searching the bike name, and see how many rebuild threads come up?

The 150sx is reliable. Its the 144, which had all the issues and KTM fixed those issues and changed the name to 150 in order to stay away from the stigmatism of the old bike.

So the 09 has no issues that I know of.

I owned a 2009 150sx. Tye is correct that some of the previous 144 models had issues. The fix was a 09+ head and cdi.

I raced and rode my 150 pretty hard. I weigh 200lbs + gear (90.9 kg) I put about 35 hours on mine before doing a top end. It pulled my butt around tracks just fine. I could jump anything I could on a 250 2t, on the 150.

Proper jetting is the key with any hi rev bike. I ran a 198mj (195 in the hottest summer months). Awesome bikes...

I owned a 2009 150sx. Tye is correct that some of the previous 144 models had issues. The fix was a 09+ head and cdi.

I raced and rode my 150 pretty hard. I weigh 200lbs + gear (90.9 kg) I put about 35 hours on mine before doing a top end. It pulled my butt around tracks just fine. I could jump anything I could on a 250 2t, on the 150.

Proper jetting is the key with any hi rev bike. I ran a 198mj (195 in the hottest summer months). Awesome bikes...

Okey, sounds good.

No problems at all with the bike? How is i jetted stock? And did you use the stock exhaust?

Did you do any other changes or modifications to the bike?

Okey, sounds good.

No problems at all with the bike? How is i jetted stock? And did you use the stock exhaust?

Did you do any other changes or modifications to the bike?

The bike needs an exhaust in my book, mostly the muffler system, not so much the resonance chamber. If you put that on, the needle will need to be richened up a bit, but other then that, the stock jetting is good. When I rode a stock 144 recently, I was shocked how much kick it had, the exhaust remedies that completely and smooths out the hit by moving the torque down the rev range.

Suspension is #1 though, gotta get it dialed in by someone good, its really crap stock. The forks want to dive, the rear end wallows under power, and the stock rates are usually too soft, but since you're in Europe... you might be able to get away with it since the tracks are so different.

The bike needs an exhaust in my book, mostly the muffler system, not so much the resonance chamber. If you put that on, the needle will need to be richened up a bit, but other then that, the stock jetting is good. When I rode a stock 144 recently, I was shocked how much kick it had, the exhaust remedies that completely and smooths out the hit by moving the torque down the rev range.

Suspension is #1 though, gotta get it dialed in by someone good, its really crap stock. The forks want to dive, the rear end wallows under power, and the stock rates are usually too soft, but since you're in Europe... you might be able to get away with it since the tracks are so different.

Many thanks for your input. Yeah i will get a new pipe for it as soon as possible. Can't really decide which one i should go with. I'm thinking of HGS all the way or HGS exhaust chamber and a Pro circuit R-304 silencer. What do you run on your 144?

Will absolutley take a look at the suspension right away. Is the suspension so bad that it will save me time and effort to install Öhlins suspension right away? Or is it possible to modify the stock WP suspension to a good level?

It has been 2 years since i was on a 2stroke, but i'm so excited to get a new one, and the fact that everyone says that the 150sx is a great bike just makes it better.

Many thanks for your input. Yeah i will get a new pipe for it as soon as possible. Can't really decide which one i should go with. I'm thinking of HGS all the way or HGS exhaust chamber and a Pro circuit R-304 silencer. What do you run on your 144?

I actually haven't built my 144 yet, even though my sig says I did it... But on my 125 which is the same bloody thing, I run an FMF pipe and shorty silencer. Sounds great, has excellent mid-range and bottom end, substantially better then any other stock 125 I've ridden. The pipe just makes the mid come to life and on a small motor, thats critical.

Will absolutley take a look at the suspension right away. Is the suspension so bad that it will save me time and effort to install Öhlins suspension right away? Or is it possible to modify the stock WP suspension to a good level?

It has been 2 years since i was on a 2stroke, but i'm so excited to get a new one, and the fact that everyone says that the 150sx is a great bike just makes it better.

I'm somewhat happy with the Factory Connection suspension I recently received. It cost me a lot of money, but the end result was something that's usable for the time being. The forks just need a lot of work to get plush, coatings and such cost a lot of money. Factory Connection has a few upgrades which make the front work, but its just a work-around for a bigger issue. Honestly, many people race on the stock kit and never have any problems. I know what good suspension should feel like, so for me, its all about trying to get that feel out of my bike and so far I've only gotten CLOSE not on the money. But, the stock suspension was unpredictable, the new FC stuff is very predictable and hasn't face-planted me yet! (knock on wood) With the new Pirelli 32's I put on recently, I've had more grip and more confidence then I've ever had on the bike.

No you don't need Öhlins at all, I wouldn't even think for a second about putting different forks and shock on it. The stock kit is plenty good enough to be worked with, the problem is, you've gotta work with it to make it good.

Hope that helps! Remember 2009 + are the years to be looking for. :smirk: