Sign in to follow this  

Shock Bearings

I am in the market for some new shock bearings but I would like to know the difference between two brands. All Balls looks to use a needle bearings

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&navType=type&webTypeId=114&prodFamilyId=9236&listingId=&custPropAttr7=73[/url]

and then the Pivot Works uses teflon

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=114&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&prodFamilyId=2065'>

and then the Pivot Works uses teflon

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navType=type&webTypeId=114&navTitle=Bearings&webCatId=14&prodFamilyId=2065

Now can anyone tell me what ones are better any why? or will they be the same and its just the picture that is confusing me?

You are looking at a generic picture. Generally, the shock bearing is a needle bearing. Long, needle-like rollers that dissapate the load over the entire width of linkage. Roller bearings are narrower in construction and focus the load over the small race area that the bearings contact. Both have their strenghts (and uses) and weaknesses.

All Balls and Pivot Works are both quality brands. You can do a search on this forum and see pro's and con's to each. Just make sure you grease them up well before installing (there are some good videos in the TT 'how-to' section and use the correct tools to install them.

Bearings from either of those Co's should be OEM replacements, typically roller bearings for the shock lower, and a heim spherical bearing for the shock upper. I have used both brands, qaulity on Pivot Works seems a little more consistent, though I'm sure both these companies just source bearings for their kits.

All Balls sells the upper/lower seperately, usually the lower is the problem. My lower is clapped out right now, I'll just order the lower from All Balls.

OEMs are often the same price (sometimes less), and you can order exactly which pieces you need...

Look in the phone book, if you have a local bearing supplier, you can usually take the bearings there and they can match up what you need, generally cheaper.

I opt for the convenience of the Pivotworks or Allballs kits.

One of those companies is including a bushing along with the bearing so you can choose what you want to install.

The last All Balls lower shock bearing I got for my wifes RM100 came with the typical needle bearing as well as a teflon bushing one which supposedly lasts longer. Both for the same price as one :bonk:

I installed the teflon now for testing, feel is good, and I still have my needle bearing.

Look in the phone book, if you have a local bearing supplier, you can usually take the bearings there and they can match up what you need, generally cheaper.

I opt for the convenience of the Pivotworks or Allballs kits.

The issue with local bearing shops is the seals. I tried that once, when it was all said and done, I still spent the same as if I got a kit from AB or PW.

The issue with local bearing shops is the seals. I tried that once, when it was all said and done, I still spent the same as if I got a kit from AB or PW.

Exactly, seals, bearing and race for less than $15 one stop shopping.

Really, how much are you going to save by piecing it together?

I've personally found it's generally more expensive that way here in Canada.