Sign in to follow this  

My New Ride

Just thought I'd share a few pictures of my new ride . It's a 2007 KX250R that I just acquired 2 weeks ago . The previous owner used the bike as a play bike but had decided to prep the bike for the 2012 season in the Vet class . So , he freshened things up . He installed a new factory crank and bearing assembly , new piston and rings , new cylinder , new seals , new chain and sprocket with 12/50 gearing and a new Pro Circuit rear suspension link . All bearings were replaced and or regreased . I took over and installed a PC Platinum 2 and R304 exhaust and a Twin Air filter . I completely cleaned and detailed the bike and rejetted the carb . Most components of this bike look almost brand new . It had a pretty easy life .

I've been away from the bike scene for a VERY long time and this is my first MX bike . I've only had a chance to try it once before the snow came and I was a bit surprised at how hard it pulls through the gears . It will just be a fun trail/woods machine for me to get back out riding again . 2007-KX250R-Front.jpg

I am super happy to have a 2 stroke again :bonk: I love the sound ,smell and power !!

2007-KX250R-Profile.jpg

2007-KX250R-Engine-Right.jpg

Edited by MIMB

I'm down cause of snow too,not alot but enough to stop me.I'm dreaming of spring,camping with the bikes in the pits.

Good catch . I did retouch the paint on the frame and there is vinyl strips already on there to prevent boot wear . I was trying to make the vinyl as invisible as possible . Maybe I succeeded :bonk:

It looks very nice.

My 94 stock gearing is 14-49 and right now it has a 14-47. It seems to have pretty good bottom. I can't imagine the 12-50 gearing or did they change the gearing ratio quite abit over the years? Whats stock for the 07?

Stock gearing for the 07 250 was 13/51 . When I bought the bike , it came with the stock 13/51 sprockets as well as the 12/50 setup already installed .

I will say though , the 12/50 setup gives the bike a pretty strong bottom end . When in 3rd gear and just rolling on the throttle , as soon as the bike comes on the pipe , the front wheel heads for the sky unless you are seriously leaning forward . When better weather comes , I'll try some different combinations to see what works best for the trails .

Stock gearing for the 07 250 was 13/51 . When I bought the bike , it came with the stock 13/51 sprockets as well as the 12/50 setup already installed .

I will say though , the 12/50 setup gives the bike a pretty strong bottom end . When in 3rd gear and just rolling on the throttle , as soon as the bike comes on the pipe , the front wheel heads for the sky unless you are seriously leaning forward . When better weather comes , I'll try some different combinations to see what works best for the trails .

my 96 came 14/49. i got the 52 to try help with tight woods and trail riding. now im wondering if i went the wrong way. my bike is real throttle finicky. doesnt take much and it goes sky high. real hard to control in super tight, twisty off camber situations.

to take top end of and make the throttle less finicky, we turned the stator counterclockwise to the last mark (you will see when you do it) and this makes throttle more smooth and gives bottom end and makes it easier to start. this is free and very easy to do.

my 96 came 14/49. i got the 52 to try help with tight woods and trail riding. now im wondering if i went the wrong way. my bike is real throttle finicky. doesnt take much and it goes sky high. real hard to control in super tight, twisty off camber situations.

I got a 96 kx250 ... it had 15 / 49 when i got it ... the PO wanted to calm the hit etc i guess ... im currently running 14 / 49 a good fit for trails and mx ... strong bottom and pulls hard up top ( im 160 lbs ) front end comes up even lugging it in 2nd ... strong :bonk:

Went from a 125 to 250 and LOVE it !!!!

12/50 seems insanely low. I like 13/49 on my 05 for trails, you can lug these bikes with a little clutch work. I'm going to try stock 13/51 again for MX and see if the bike turns better. Right now it feels a touch too tall to sweep a berm.

There is no question that 12/50 is low . The one time that I rode the bike , I found it to be very touchy on the throttle . With that gearing , it was always in the meat of the powerband and it was a handful on the trail . I'm not complaining , but , I will be trying different combinations to see what works the best . Perhaps 13/50 will be next to try . I've already got the sprockets so it will only take a small effort to swap it out to try . Time will tell I guess . Should be fun .

12/50 seems insanely low. I like 13/49 on my 05 for trails, you can lug these bikes with a little clutch work. I'm going to try stock 13/51 again for MX and see if the bike turns better. Right now it feels a touch too tall to sweep a berm.

So the 12-50 could launch from the starting gate in third gear...:bonk:

I may have to try the 13-49.

So the 12-50 could launch from the starting gate in third gear...:bonk:

Yeah, but you'd top out before the first turn so everyone would pass you anyway. :smirk:

I just swapped out the front sprocket for a 13 and am going to try 13/50 to see if there's much difference compared to the 12/50 .