Sign in to follow this  

KX 65 clutch problem

2008 KX 65. Just bought used for my 10 yr. old. The bike had not been riden for almost two years. I went through it pretty good and drained/filled fuel, gear box, and coolant. I noticed the gearbox was pretty low. It runs great except the clutch is not completely disengaging the gears. With the bike in 1st and the clutch pulled, it will not freewheel. With it running and going from N to 1st it grabs like normal, but quite a bit stronger and lugs the motor a bit more than normal. Is this a sign of the plates stuck or something like that? I tried adjusting the clutch lever and even rotated the clutch lever on the case by hand but at no point could I get it to completely disengage.

Any suggestions as to what could be wrong?

When these bikes are not running it is hard to push the bike while in gear even with the clutch lever pulled in and there will be a bunch of drag. That is normal but if you pull the clutch in and shift into gear with it running and it lugs the motor then you have a problem. First make sure you do not have too much free play at the lever. Too much and it won't allow for enough movement to completely disengage the clutch. If this still does not fix the problem, take the clutch cover off and and carefully use a screwdriver to loosen any stuck plates. If I were ou I would take it completely apart and check the plates and basket for wear. If the basket is heavily grooved, the plates will hang up on it and cause it not to disengage and can also cause the clutch not to engage smoothly.

Thanks for the input. It seems the bike is acting normal, a few people have told me the same thing...its normal for them to drag even with the clutch pulled. It does not lug the motor when its running and in gear at a stand still, shifts through the gears fine and in and out of N nice and smooth as well. All seems fine. I guess we will tell for sure this weekend. Thanks again.