Sign in to follow this  

oil problem

I have rebuilt my xr600r 1997 including new oil pump.I Got the bike as a non runner seized engine so asumed it must of had an oil problem. I have had the bike running for a few minutes shut it down checked the oil filter and it is dry as a bone have checked the oil pump by spinning it in a bowl of oil its fiine but still filter is dry when I check it after running engine after a couple of minutes any sugestions as to what the problem might be its now doing my head in thanks

What did you do to prime the oiling system before you cranked it up? I crack the banjo on the oil line that feeds the head, pull the spark plug, stuff an air chuck in my XRL's oil tank, and spin the motor until oil leaks out of the banjo fitting. It takes a bit for it start oiling.

the oil pump needs to be primed before it will work. I took my side cover off and spun the oil pump counter clock wise with a drill while pushing oil into it with an oil can. then when I first started it I loosened the oil line at the head to make sure it was getting oil in the top end.

Air nozzle,low pressure in the oil res tank while cranking,,short bursts of air will hurt nothing........

On a bike that starved of oil i`d be checking the oil hoses at the bottom connecting into the front right corner of the engine,,they can collapse and starve the engine,,i`ve seen this here repeatedly,,change them,,cheap insurance..

B

Hi thanks to all of you I got oil pumping around the engine turned out to be air lock in small pipe coming from the pump I removed it to pump some oil in andthe Oil started to flow,span it over and got the oil throughout the enginemcheers!