Sign in to follow this  

Off Road Home Made Pit Tool Box

I just wanted to share a project I am currently working on. I wanted a mobile tool box that I can cart to and from the pit when I race hare scrambles. I dont need anything large, just a couple hand tools, some oil/lube, spare gloves, spare goggles, zip-ties and duct tape. It may have been easier to buy one of the yard wagons and mount a tool box on it, but i like DIY projects and adding personality to it. I was able to come up with a couple of freebies to start the build...

<Free>

Tool Box

Rolling Garden Chair Frame w/ Wheels

Diamond Plate (From an old Truck Tool Box)

Handlebars

I drew a little picture of what it will look like when its done.

TOOLBOXFRONT.jpg

• Like 1

I will paint it orange (to match my bike) and use some extra bed liner paint I have for the frame. For a pull handle I will use the spare handle bars and some old grips i have laying around. I will cut up the old diamond plate truck box and line the bottom of the pit box with it for nice finishing touch.

I had to lower the frame 4 inches to make it study with the height of the tool box. It was a simple process, drill new holes higher up on the frame, slide the axle in, tack weld it, cut off the excess frame and done. I was also able to drill and mount the box to the frame. next up design the rear oil and lube holder. I just need to find some free metal. Here is a pic of the progress.

photo.jpg

hah thats cool but honestly its small enough you could get the same amount of tools in a large tool bag and carry it.. thats what i do.

hah thats cool but honestly its small enough you could get the same amount of tools in a large tool bag and carry it.. thats what i do.

Yeah but you cant customize a tool bag, well maybe with a bedazzler....

haha

I have been using a bag but its not remotely organized. With the toolbox i'll bolt down some socket rails, and use draw spacers to clean it up a bit.

Thats cool! Put a little motor on it and ride it!!

I was thinking about using a pocket bike motor on it, maybe for the next box.

haha

I have been using a bag but its not remotely organized. With the toolbox i'll bolt down some socket rails, and use draw spacers to clean it up a bit.

Ya i agree no organization to bag.

You need a motor out of a electric golf cart . They even have reverse .

I was thinking about using a pocket bike motor on it, maybe for the next box.

String trimmer motor. Already has the auto-clutch built in. If you're lucky, you can find an old one for free...

JayC

I had to lower the frame 4 inches to make it study with the height of the tool box. It was a simple process, drill new holes higher up on the frame, slide the axle in, tack weld it, cut off the excess frame and done. I was also able to drill and mount the box to the frame. next up design the rear oil and lube holder. I just need to find some free metal. Here is a pic of the progress.

photo.jpg

Cool so far, gonna be really nice when you finish.

haha

Bolts or even the heads can interfere with the drawer below.

Just get a pop rivet kit from Walmart or HarborFreight...less than 10 bucks. I have even used 3m double sided weather stripping TO secure wrench racks and socket rails in tool box drawers.

Bolts or even the heads can interfere with the drawer below.

Just get a pop rivet kit from Walmart or HarborFreight...less than 10 bucks. I have even used 3m double sided weather stripping TO secure wrench racks and socket rails in tool box drawers.

Thanks for the tip. I didn't think of using rivits. I will add that to list of things to do.

• Like 1

Update:

I was able to get my hands on some xr50 bar clamps and mountain bike handle bars. I'll be using this as the pull handle.

36821247.jpg

Looks like those are the new spline style sockets & wrenches? I picked up some of those myself in the sales over the holidays. The local sears is closing and I'm waiting for more of that stuff to go on sale (ratcheting wrenches mostly..)

..a