Sign in to follow this  

2001 XR80R Lever Perches - Not OEM?

I recently bought my boy a 2001 XR80R, it's his first bike and he's learning fast but he's laid it down a few times (must get it from his Dad) and he's broken a couple of clutch levers. I bought a replacement at the local Cycle Gear, and it fits (well did until yesterday, when he broke that one). I ordered a couple each, clutch and brake, from RockyMountain 'cause they are cheap... but the ones I got from RM don't fit, they are too thick at the pivot point where the lever goes into the perch and the pivot bolt goes through. The one on my bike are almost half as thin as the ones I got from RM. As far as I know, these are the stock perches, but it's a use bike so who knows? Anyone else have this issue? I had the same issue with a 2005 CR100F I bought for my son last year (it was too big so I sold it); the OEM levers for that 100 were too thick too, and on that bike I knew the original owner and know he didn't change out perches. Any insight would be much appreciated!

Honda uses different perches and levers than the other 'big' three. If you're ordering model specific XR / CRF levers and they don't fit...

It's really squirrely to me. The ones that are "supposed" to fit, don't. But the ones that DO fit (the one I bought locally @ Cycle Gear), are definitely for multiple models of Honda's (there was a model compatibility chart on the back of the package). I am wondering if the previous owner replaced both sides (perches and levers) with a setup from an older version of XR.

Looks like RM has a replacement perch (that will fit the levers I already bought) for $7 so I think I'll just do that instead of monkey'ing around trying to find levers that fit what I got. Thanks for the reply!