Sign in to follow this  

Bottom end noise from '07

Went riding yesterday on my '07 (with a total 25 hours on it). As the bike sat idling in neutral while I was getting ready to load it in the truck and head for home I heard a screaching sort of noise comming from the engine and the bike started to move foreword on its own. I grabbed it before it fell over, pulled the clutch in and blipped the throttle and the noise stopped. I let out the clutch and everything seemed OK it was still in neutral.

This was not the first time it's happened. Always while in neutral and it always seems to go away if I rev it a couple of times.

Any ideas what might be wrong? The bike seems to run perfect otherwise. I am the original owner and just use it to trail ride in the desert. As I said its only got 25 hours on it and I changed the oil and filter a couple of weeks ago.

The only things I've ever done to the bike is change oil and filter, clean/ replace air filter and I cleaned that little screen that had silicone strings and a few metal chips on it.

ya with that many hours thats all you should have done to it really.. (maybe look into greasing all the bearings too).

Maybe some one else will know more, I have an '07 with tons more hours than that but i havent had that happen to me. Thinking about it more, i dont think its the clutch since you said it was in neutral, then kinda moved forward, which obviously means it is trying to get into gear. Something with shifting mechanism, shift fork?

I had been a little concerned that I never see oil in the sight glass even when draining and filling it to the amount specified in the manual but everyone says that's normal.

ya its normal. If you are using the oem triangle stand, it will be tilted over and you wont see the oil. IF you are using a Moto-cross stand that holds the bike dead level, you should see oil in the sight glass. (only about half-way up the glass)

To check the level you need to put the oil in, start the bike and let it run for bit, then shut the bike off on the stand and wait a while for the oil to settle. Then it should be halfway up the sight glass. Again thats on an MX stand and the bike is dead level.

Otherwise if im riding and want to do a quick check i just lean the bike over to the right and see if oil splashes up on the glass.

I have added some oil before a ride just to be "safe" but it seems like it just flows out the overflow hose during the ride anyway.

ya thats what happens.. overfilling isnt the end of the world, but more like wasting oil cuz it will just pump out the excess.

Kickstart idler gear. It tried to seize on the shaft if it tried to move forward in neutral. It happens when these bikes are a little low on oil.

Idler gear? Is that a serious problem? Does it get damaged and need replacing? Since the sight glass is apparently non functional how do I know if my oil is getting low? Should I just top off the oil before each ride. I see no evidence of an oil leak anywhere on the bike.

Also if the oil level is too high and starts squirting out the overflow tube while riding would this create a siphon effect and actually reduce the oil level below the correct amount?

I just told you how to effectively use the sight glass??? If you hold the bike level, you CAN use the sight glass..

Ill say it again. you wana check the oil level, you need to start the bike, run it for a minute (so the sump pumps up some oil) then kill the bike, let it sit for a couple minutes (while your loading all your gear in the truck or something.. Then if ur bikes not on a level stand (u really should get one they are like 30 bucks and make working on ur bike so much easier) then u just hold it level and check the sight glass.

Half way up the glass.... If its not half-way up the glass, add some oil...

I had an issue similar on my 2 smoker. Weird you are hearing that on your 07 with very low hours.

I guess my main concern is if there is any long term damage that I should be worried about or if this is a common thing and no big deal.