Sign in to follow this  

250f to 250 2t

so im selling the 4 stroke for a number of reasons and i was thinking about getting a 250 two stroke. im 16 about 140 pounds and i race intermediate mx. i also do a lot of hare scramble races and freeriding (big jumps deep sand corner tracks ect..) is a 250 two stroke too much power? i'v heard that it will too much from some people but im not too sure. How much of a step up is the mx1 bike from the 250f?

your 250f puts out 37 hp and a late model yz or sx 250 put out 47 to 50 hp. Give yourself time to get comfortable and respect the power and you will be fine.

Well yes the 250 2t will have SIGNIFICANTLY more power up top, obviously. Your 250 4t probably had a bit more grunt down low, even though it's half the power.

A 250 4t is equal to a 125 2t

A 450 4t is equal to a 250 2t (althought a 450 would walk on a 250 2t above 50-60mph)

BUT, a 250 2t is light years lighter in weight, wayyyy cheaper to maintain, and a ton more fun. The power band is quite addictive. Be aware though the 2t's will make you WORK for the same speed. The 4t's are heavier but are sort of dumb'd down and make anyone a better rider.

For example though, I am currently putting a wiseco pro lite, boyesen dual stage reeds, silencer packing, exhaust o rings, and all the gaskets for like $250 and it will be a new bike.

The bike in question is my 1998 cr250. It runs amazing and didn't even necessarily warrant a top end. We didn't know what to expect breaking her down tonight. Turns out this bike STILL has the ORIGINAL piston and cylinder in it and entire motor for that matter along with reeds, gaskets, silencer packing, everything!!! This is just a testament to HONDA though, and no others, but it's an idea of the level of reliability you can expect from Honda. (I can provide pictures if you'd like) Wouldn't trade this 13 year old 2t for a brand new crf450 any day of the week though.

I think you'll have a BLAST. Learn the powerband and how it works, but most importantly, learn how to respect it and you two should have a great relationship!

Griffin

You'll be fine. Id suggest a 03+ YZ250. It is a great bike for what your describing, or if you have the money a better option is a newer KTM 250xc or sx.