Sign in to follow this  

Need help identifying wiring on the stock Gauges

Hi guys,

I bought a cheap fixer upper DRZ. It’s a decent 2002 S model that had lost a fight with a landscape retaining wall following a police chase…. A few things need swapped out to get her back on the road. One of those things is the stock gauge cluster. I'm told it was smooshed when the guys face hit the gauge cluster. Ouch.

I do happen to have a spare gauge set that I wish to use to replace the broken one. It’s off my 2007 DRZ.

I noticed that the wiring coming out of the back of the gauges on the 2002 has two connectors. A white connector and a blue one. The white connector has two wires, (1) Black/yellow and (1) Black/white. This matches the connector and wires on one of the connectors on the 2007. The 2002 blue connector has four wires coming out of it. (1) red, (1) Orange, (1) Black/white and (1) Grey. The 2007 second connector is white and matches the red, orange and black/white wires on the 2002 but doesn’t have the grey wire. See Pics.

Question is; what’s the Grey wire on the 2002 gauge cluster? Can I swap the connectors and not worry about the grey wire or will I loose feature/functions if I don’t connect it somehow? I also noticed that the 2002 gauges have a "select" button on the right side, while my 2007 gauges don't have this button.

If I can't use the 2007 gauges, I’d be willing to trade or sell it to get a 2002 set.

Thanks!

You can ignore the grey wire on on your 02 harness. On older setups, it was for the lights, turning on the internal light only when the bike lights were on. On the new ones like from your 07, the grey is internally connected to the orange, lighting the unit whenever the bike is on.

You can ignore the grey wire on on your 02 harness. On older setups, it was for the lights, turning on the internal light only when the bike lights were on. On the new ones like from your 07, the grey is internally connected to the orange, lighting the unit whenever the bike is on.

Great news. I was hoping it would be a simple solution. Thank you so much.