Sign in to follow this  

draining oil - hot or cold?

i'm in the process of doing a top end rebuild on my bike,and i have the exhaust pulled and coolant drained. if i want to change the oil, is it ok to drain while the engine is cold? or should i wait until the build is done and change the oil when the engine is broken in? I really don't want to have to put my exhaust back on and fill with coolant just to warm it up for a few minutes.

You should have went ahead and warmed the bike up and changed the oil earlier before you took the pipe off and drained the coolant.

Since you have the pipe off now and the coolant out I would just go ahead and drain the oil and just leave the pug out and drain real good and after a day of just draining then tilt the bike from side to side and let the remaining oil drain out.

It's fine the way you done it so there is no need to worry cause you will drain most of the old oil out by just letting it sit and drain over a few days.

Since you are doing a top end anyway, you can leave the drain plug out and run a few quarts of mineral spirits or kerosene through the crankcase to clean any junk out.

Yep,you should have done it before.

But, you can still get it done. I would just wait till the build is complete, then warm and drain it.

My 2 cents.

Draining while warm is the preferable method, but cold draining (especially over some time) is better than leaving dirty oil in there.

If you feel the need to flush anything through, use oil. Don't use something that will leave a residue that can break down/dilute or damage the lubrication properties of the new oil.

The purpose of draining hot/warm is to have all the contaminants suspended in the oil when you drain it, not to make the oil drain faster or more completely. Doing an oil change cold occasionally will not hurt. Go ahead and change the oil now.

Draining while warm is the preferable method, but cold draining (especially over some time) is better than leaving dirty oil in there.

If you feel the need to flush anything through, use oil. Don't use something that will leave a residue that can break down/dilute or damage the lubrication properties of the new oil.

x2 on this