Sign in to follow this  

Showa fork center bolt rebound adjuster D pin broke

Bike:

2006 Honda CRF250R with Showa forks.

So I am putting my forks back togther back together after a fork oil and seal change. The fork was was fully assembled on the bench with oil etc. The last step was to set the compression & rebound clickers. Compression clicker set fine but when I went to set my rebound adjuster at 12 clicks out the bolt had normal tension on it and then it just started free wheeling (broke). I took the center bolt out and noticed that the D shaped pin (that inserts in the D shaped female opening of the long decompressor rod) snapped off.

I know I need to buy a new center bolt - my question is:

Why did this happen and what do I need to do to fix it and make sure it does not happen again?

Thanks

The male portion of the steel D shaped pin broke but the aluminum D shaped rod wasn't rounded out?

Id have to say the pin was a defect from the factory. Or something happened to it when it was laying about the bench.

The male pin on the centerbolt broke, the female d shaped rod hole was not rounded out.

I think what happened was that when I put the rod into the damper I did not rotate the rod to seat it properly. Because it was not seated properly and it was still sticking out of the damper slightly(instead of being slightly recessed) after torquing the center bolt I effectively clamped the rod into a fixed position so it could not freely rotate so when I started to adjust (turn in) the rebound clicker it ended up snapping off.

I have a ne centerbolt on order and will be careful when I reinstall.

At least I hope this is what I did so it does not happen again.

I'm dealing with this right now... Let the bike set after beach riding so thought it was a bit tight, cranked the rebound screw and sheared it off, rod was fine though. Replaced it with a bottom bolt from another pair and still wont turn. Pulling it apart now to see what the deal is....