Sign in to follow this  

HELP - Newbie - TTR50 Rear Spring change...

Happy holidays,

I am a total dirt bike newbie. I just got the 2012 TTR-50E...

I am loving it and it is a lot of fun to ride around the neighborhood..

I am 160 lbs and I bottomed out the rear end. I need to change the rear spring to something stiffer to accomodate my weight. So I got a Red Baron heavy duty spring. My problem is... I am a total knob when it comes to dirt bikes...

Can someone please reply with detailed instructions on how to change the rear spring of the TTR-50? Do I need to get a set of spring compressors?

Thank you in advance.

John

should be relatively straight foward. I've never changed one on a ttr-50 but it should be pretty easy. you can look up your bike on a parts website and looked at the exploded view diagram to get an idea of how it comes apart. should just be two bolts to remove the shock, then the should be able to be unload the spring with the preload adjustment, once you loosen that there shouldn't be any pressure on the spring and should be safe to remove it from the shock.

I just bought the TTR50 for my son two days ago - focusing on intake and jet mods as the next step (once he learns to shift, or we mod the shifter - shifting this little bish is hard)... so I don't have personal experience with the TTR50 shock. However, maybe take a look at other MFG instructions - such as Two Brothers for the Honda XR50 - may help you along http://www.twobros.com/Cust_Service/Install_Inst/Hon_XR50R_Rear_Shock_Spring_Instructions.pdf

That said -

You must be pushing more than 160... I am 160 - sure - I bottom it out jumping it, but not just putting around - it is a TTR50 for goodness sakes!!! If you are flatteing it out that much, you may next need to consider more heavy duty spokes - one big bump and the stock ones will be toasted.

Thanks everyone for the help. I appreciate it.

I got the TTR-50 to ride around my property as a "pit bike" - mostly on paved driveways and paved lots. The purchase was on a whim since my local dealer had it on clearance. :-)

I ended returning the spring and got an adjustable full rear shock/spring combo. This was much easier. Simply unbolt two nuts and swap in the new shock/spring combo. I am going to get a KLX 110 for myself and give the TTR-50 to my son.

The shifter was really tough in the beginning. Thanks to the postings here I adjusted the gears and got a new longer shift lever - that really helped a lot. I am having tons of fun on the TTR. My neighbors are giving me funny looks, but I don't care. Having too much fun.