Sign in to follow this  

xr 600 -98 weak spark wont start

well my riding ended abruptly last spring when i took a fishing trip with it and as usual i killed it with the stop button and after that it didnt fire up. so im stuck in nowhere in 30+ celsius kicking the damn thing over and over:foul:, and sometimes it spluttered and backfired, checked the iginition....no spark at all. so i took it home and i havent accomplished much more then getting a really thin weak spark,i checked everything with multimeter.

primary ignition coil 0.6 ohm

secondary 8.36 kohm (with plug)

exciter coil (new ricky stator) 100 ohm

pulse generator 396 ohm

and i have meassured every cable and they all give 0.4 ohm ressistance which is fine, the kill swich has no continuity and i have checked and messured all the ground cables so that seems to be fine. so far ive replaced the spark plug/cap and cable and bought a ricky stator so thats not the problem, the old one was good too but i didnt realise until it was too late that the newer xr spec was 50-150 ohm and not 230-320 like it said in the manual....! it would be sweet to get it running again since we have no snow and i would love to get the ice tires on it:ride:

I would by pass the kill switch all together an see if that works. sounds lime that is the source of the problem. This happened on my xr650l and that's what it was. hope this helps.

I would by pass the kill switch all together an see if that works. sounds lime that is the source of the problem. This happened on my xr650l and that's what it was. hope this helps.

how do you by pass the kill switch? cant se any sockets that i can pull apart, or is there a way to pull the cable from the switch at the handlebar switch?

ive checked and there is nothing to pull apart, i think the former owner did some wiring by himself cause it was fitted with an aftermarket headlight plastic and indicator. but i have meassured the kill switch again all the way where it goes into the cdi and there is no continuity, only when i press the kill switch....feels like it should be the ignition coil cause it was out of spec with 0.6 ohm on primary when it says 0.1-0.3 in the manual, but then again the secondary is well withing specs

thanks for the tip. i have ordered a new coil and it will come some time next week i think, lets hope that is the problem!

I got the new ignition coil yesterday and mounted it,and the problem is the same.......still has a thin weak spark, forgot to mention before that i bought a new wiring harness so thats OK.

my fuse is running short on this bike now! im gonna spend the day with the bike and try some stuff but if nothing works i think im going to buy a new cdi box. OH BTW, is the ricky stator compatible with any cdi box for the xr 600 or does it hafto be the cdi box from ricky stator?

My riicky stator is compatible with oem and a red argentinian cdi box , the one they sell on ebay, it looks like a hots shots cdi.

I had issues with my kill switch, so I goit a new one...but check your cdi or find a good oem one...Also check your grounds, again!

good luck

As faar as i know there´s 3 places where it goes to ground, 2 near the cdi box on the left and right side and one on the ignition coil. but the ground on the coil is for the ignition right, and the other 2 for the lights? i connected the new wiring harness from the cdi to the ignition coil + ground and the pulse thingy so that definetly eliminates the killswitch theory. I also noticed that when i held the sparkplug some distance from the bike that the spark jumped to the frame/engine and it looked quite stronger then the weak spark i got when it was resting solid against the engine... :smirk: ive ordered a new cdi box and with that everything electrical is new except the pulse generator.

Edited by emilcrazy

My riicky stator is compatible with oem and a red argentinian cdi box , the one they sell on ebay, it looks like a hots shots cdi.

I had issues with my kill switch, so I goit a new one...but check your cdi or find a good oem one...Also check your grounds, again!

good luck

Installed the new cdi and the spark is good, not great but acceptable. it still would not start just fire a couple of times and die, turns out ive been fooling around with the valves some time ago and set the clearance too tight so when that was fixed it fired right up! :smirk: just hafto figure out how to connect the lighting wires and throw on the ice tires

just to make it clear for everyone searching and ending up here, it was the cdi box that was the fault, before i thought they only worked or didnt but it turns out they can work halfass too..

aja...

its been a while but Ive checked back in...

this is great news...

2 issues,,,yes tight valves will onky fire and sputter and not keep going...

and yes the cdi I have been told can work halfass although this is more common on the xrl failure prone cdi that suffers from bad circuits...

good to know you fixed it!

I switched back to my OEM cdi and attached it tightly to the frame and kind of padded it to protect it a bit more from vibration...

I cant find any difference performance wise on the oem and hotshots cdi...but the oem cdi was a perfect fit at the connectors, the hotshots had a little more pressure to fit...

anyways congrats