Sign in to follow this  

Honda XR600R jetting question

I say around 165/65...I'm 162/62 with the CRF250X pipe and am going up again to 165/65 after a good 120k test ride the other day..Plugs a bit lean looking and no soot in the Muffler end.,Like to see a bit of black back there..,

On my 97 xr600, I'm about a 158main & cant remember pilot , my clip on needle is 2nd from the bottom grove. I have a megamax disc type muffler(like a super trap)I feel I'm a tad rich, especially in elevations above 2000'. Your settings may vary depending on many things. trial & error testing. Good luck!

see this >>> http://www.justxr.com/jh_info/ssummers.html

Sorry absolute noob but loving owning a XR 600.

What do the Jets refer to?

American football team out of new york. For some reason those players affect how well the XXR run.:bonk:

Just kidding. I have asked the same question myself. The jets are a brass fitting that screws in to the uptake for the carb. The size determines how much fuel goes through it and in to the cylinder. If you are running rich, get a smaller jet. If you are running lean, get a bigger one.

I hate to say this, but do a google search on them. Great info from the old www.

And welcome to the world of big thumpers. They are wonderful...if you can get them to start.

I'm now at 168/68,,needle stock position.. Five kick threws to prime the motor,,no choke,,One kick,,bingo, running., Yet to take it for a good hammering due to bad weather,I'll edit this later with proper results after it's had a good hour long normal riding conditions run.,,Be able to add to that hanging idle issue then as well and tell you whether the cause was a too lean condition ,,(Signs so far with it running in the garage are that it was )Take into account I'm running a first oversize 100mm XL Piston in what I believe is a 650L bore.,Sleeve looked kinda thin after the rebore but touch wood no issues as yet.,

Holy crap. I will make a run this weekend and see how it goes, but I think I finally got things worked out on my end. Re-jetted to 68/165 (needle at stock). I just have an aftermarket air filter, gutted air box and a gutted stock exhaust. I was having a hell of a time getting it started. Then, I leaned it out...a lot (another 3/4 to full turn).

So, i went through the clearing drill of no choke, throttle open and about 10 kicks or so. Choke on, found compression and kicked...nothing. Went around until I found it again...and away she goes (2nd kick was better than the 10 plus I was at before). Idled for about 30 seconds, choke to half, another 30 seconds, choke off and it settled down nicely.:bonk:

I will try again tomorrow when it is cold, but I think I was flooding it out. And in my case, that would mean the hanging idle was because I was running to rich. But who knows. I need to get it out and burn about 10 minutes of gas through it and check the plug.

I really think this is good as the throttle doesn't bog and die. It did cough and die when it first started like last time and it wheelies a lot better than it. And when I say it wheelies better, that means it wouldn't do it before.

Got a big ride with the boys this weekend. Nothing like chasing a 6 and 4 year old on a couple of 50s with a big thumper.:smirk: