Heated grips

With so many heated grip options I'm looking for some help. I'm about to pull the trigger on the dual star set but I'm not sure. I see the cost anywhere from a couple bucks (ebay china) to $100. Of course I want to keep the cost down but I don't want to waste my money on junk. What are you guys using and having luck with?

I found the ones that are around $20 work well because you can still use whatever your favorite grips are. (moose makes them so does tusk) The biggest issue I have found with these are the wiring, if you ride alot of dirt and dump your bike the wiring can be challenging to keep in tact. All in all, I think these are worth it as replacement isn't too bad. If I snapped a wire on a $100 pair I would be an un-happy camper.

If you have Aluminum bars then don't get the heated wraps which go under your rubber grips. I know someone will post that you can wrap the bar in shrink tubing and it will work........not from my personal experience. So buy this and take your chances.

I bought the oxford hot grips and am happy with them. High and low settings. One thing that bothered me at first was the grips were hard, but after riding w/ them it didn't bother me at all. Grips are a little bigger than previous grips but no issues w/ that either.

IMG_1168.jpg

IMG_1151-1.jpg

Gripheaterwithdiode-1.png

don't forget to add the fuse!!!

Edited by One Less Harley

I have KOSO heated grips. They are about $55. They work well and are soft. When the temperature gets in the low thirties my hands get cold while wearing leather gloves (don't know if that's typical). What I like most is I've had the grips and the controller under water a few times and they still work, Which is great after you bite it big in a water puddle, you will want to warm up your hands.

The Oxford hot grips come w/ a high/low switch, no need to pay more for the heat troller, about $100 bucks. If your interested in paying that much I can get you the p/n of what I bought. They do work w/ Al bars.

The new Oxford's actually have 4 power settings in addition to an on/off switch :bonk:

Here's the one I bought for $75: http://www.ebay.com/itm/200686513172

My cheap wraps work on my Pro Taper aluminum bars just fine. I used a self vulcanizing tape I bought at a hardware store for left side, throttle doesn't matter since you put it on your throttle tube. To each their own, if you ride agressive dirt I wouldn't spend $200, but if you are riding SM only it might be worth it

For many reason, heated grips are not the better choice for most.. from the fact most what a grip that can be griped in off road riding and heated grips tend to be harder, and less useful to off road use.. to the point of grips are a disposable item, replaced often on most dirt bikes.

Lastly, for the simple reason, heat pads work great under normal grips with a little pre thought and work, and cost many $ less then hard heated grips.

the plastic throttle tube works well to insulate the right side giving full heat potential.

On the left side there are a few options, both allow full heat potential.

You can use bike grips and wrap the left bar with insulating tape (using a single layer of thermo plastic shrink wrap does not work nearly as well as insolating tape), apply the heater pad over that, and install the left bike grip,, it’s a stretch, but it works.

Or follow the same procedures and use the throttle side grip from two sets. That’s an option if you get a great deal on good grips, has lots of money to spend, or just want the ease of install. Personally I’ve never had an issue getting a standard left hand bike grip on over my tape and heater pad.. BUT it does allow damage easier I think in a fall, as the grip is stretched more than normal, and a simple nick tends to turn into a split faster then normal.

As I wear out or tear grips inside of 5 or 6 rides.. grips are a disposable item for me, so $50 or more per grip set is just nuts, more so when there are workable options as described above.

Thin heated gloves are the ticket for street riding, IMHO, and I may look at that for SM duty as well :bonk:

I have the moose grip warmers that wrap around the bars under the grip. It cost 40 dollars and I have them on my street bike and drz. No problems at all after years of riding. And for the left side I just wrapped in electrical tape...2 layers. Been great ever since.

The moose ones comes with everything you need a hi/low switch and they get realy hot on the high setting.

I just bought a set of Hot Grips. I'm not too happy with the expoxy required for install or the fact that there aren't holes at the end of the grips. They dont have a thermostat either but a large ceramic resister I'll have to install. All in all I'm pissed I didn't buy oxford...

I just bought a set of Hot Grips. I'm not too happy with the expoxy required for install or the fact that there aren't holes at the end of the grips. They dont have a thermostat either but a large ceramic resister I'll have to install. All in all I'm pissed I didn't buy oxford...

When you ordered them, you could have got them with or without the holes. It's selected right on the order form. They also tell you about the switch on thier web page. I bought the optional variable controller because I wanted more control over the temperature settings than the included switch would provide. With the variable controller you don't use the resistor. What's wrong with the expoxy? I didn't have any issues with mine.

WGW

I have been using the wrap type heaters on aluminum bars for over 2 years and they work fine for me. I used 2 layers of shrink tubing on the left side and used 2 throttle side grips. I think that since the throttle style grip is thinner than the standard left grip, that also helps to keep the temperature of both grips very similar. I run the Tusk covers when it is really cold, they help a LOT. It was about 30 degrees on the ride in this morning...

IMAG0723m.jpg

On the throttle side I made 2 small holes in the grip at the gap. This helps support the wire and has worked out well.

(I also just test fitted the new (14mm) master cyl, levers and KTM guards last weekend..:bonk:)

DRZ%252520controls.jpg

Will you guys stop tawkin' bout heated grips already!! You're making me cold just thinking about having to need heated grips.:bonk::busted:?

It's about 51 degrees outside and I'm thinking of needing heated grips on my mountain bike while I take my dogs out for a run in the mornings. Thanks to you guys!:awww::bonk::banana: