Sign in to follow this  

Another indecisive boot question

I have recently been able to finally afford a better boot and have decided to retire my old comp 5's. I went ahead and ordered a pair a Gaerne Balance oiled boots as I really want something a little more comfortable and something that will keep my feet a little drier in soggy WA. I am however now concerned about how well these boots will actually protect my feet and am considering ordering the SG 12's as well and sending whichever back to RM that i like better. I am seriously on the fence about this because I am not a particularly aggressive rider and spend alot of time pulling my kids bikes out of tight spots so any insight is greatly appreciated. Also my brands are limited because I have some RM gift cards and Astars and Sidi's are too narrow for my feet.

I would not use the oil balance Gaerne's for that type of riding. The 12's might be overkill, but they offer a GX-1 that I think you'll be happy with in the long term.

I was looking at the gx1's but RM unfortunately doesnt stock them and I have $300 in RM points and gift cards id really like to use.

if u cant squeeze in to a black tech-7 then your option would be the sg-10s. I have wide feet though and i have fit my buddies tech 3s, n ive personally owned tech 6's, tech 7s, and tech 10's.

matter of fact the ones i couldnt fit are my buddies comp 5's.. It may just be because they run small, however.

What about the Gaerne G-Reacts? my friend loves his and he switched from a Tech10. he said they were comfy and felt like they had good protection. plus they come in cool colors.

I would be the G Reacts are on par with a tech 3 or even maybe tech 7 as far as protection goes.. Price isnt too bad either.

Your buddy certainly took a step down in protection factor from a tech 10 but maybe they are more comfortable. The tech 10 isnt the most comfortable boot in the world, but the protection is second to none.

The Balance boots are aTrials boot. One of my riding buddies has them, and he would not buy them again because they offer little support or protection.

if u cant squeeze in to a black tech-7 then your option would be the sg-10s. I have wide feet though and i have fit my buddies tech 3s, n ive personally owned tech 6's, tech 7s, and tech 10's.

matter of fact the ones i couldnt fit are my buddies comp 5's.. It may just be because they run small, however.

I have exceptionally wide EEEE feet. The reason I was looking at the sg12's is i finally have the money to afford a higher end boot. Would they be to cumbersome to get around in for trail riding?

I have exceptionally wide EEEE feet. The reason I was looking at the sg12's is i finally have the money to afford a higher end boot. Would they be to cumbersome to get around in for trail riding?

The perfect size shoe for me is a 10 1/2 EEE, In moto boots I end up buying a 13 as they don't offer wide widths.

Ehh I duno I havent ran the sg-12s but I wouldnt hesitate to. I trail ride in tech-10s. They are stiff and heavy and a lil extra bulk from the bootie inside but after I rode in them once, i realized i couldnt ride in anything else without feeling naked.. Just so much confidence because of the protection factor. I would say that the sg-12 would also be confidence inspiring.

Use your RM points for parts or gear and order these

G-React $239 sz 9-12

http://www.extremesupply.com/product/Closeouts-Boots/GAERNEGREACTBOOT-2164.html

SG-10 $309 sz 8-13

http://www.extremesupply.com/product/Closeouts-Boots/GAERNESG10BOOTS-CLOSEOUT.html

I have been wearing these, awesome boot!

Wow thats a great price on the Gaernes. Thanks!

• Like 1

Get the SG-10's they are fantastic and quite waterproof. I have dunked my feet in a creek and they came out dry, but I am sure they not designed as a waterproof boot.

I am now drawn btw the 10's and the 12's. I will probably order a pair either today or tomorrow and send back the Balance's when they come in. From what I am gathering from my research they are both great boots and would be satisfied with either. I am not looking for 100% waterproof but something thats a little better then a sift. Is the extra $100 worth it for the 12's?

I was tossing around the G SG10 and the Sidi Chargers, 10 dollar diff,The Sidi's have a lower toe box (easier to get under the shifter) but I went with the SG10's since that is what I currently have and really like them.

Never had the 12's so I don't know if they are any better than the 10's

I bought because I found a really good deal, ad pops up for G SG10 for $279 on clearance, when I selected size 13 the price drops to $249...wish I could find a deal like that again, cause there is no way I could go back to say an Astar Tech 3. That is what I had before. They were good boots, protected my feet several times, were fairly waterproof (for about 18 months) but took forever to breakin and were not nearly as comfy

Well received my Gaerne Balance's today and immediately could tell they were not going to offer much protection, it is very easy for me to roll my ankle (Guess I should have listened). However these are awesome fitting, and extremely well made and I am almost sad to have to send them back.

After much deliberation btw the 10's and 12's I decided on the SG 12's and ordered them from RM and even got them to price match to $424. So the Balances are going back free of charge and just want to say what a hassle free experience it has been dealing with RM and of course thank you to everyone on TT for their insight!

I just got a pair of Gaerne SG12's after 3 year's in SG10's.....Oh my......Im just gonna say it...The BEST BOOT EVER!!!!Gaerne quality is the best,Period.