Sign in to follow this  

1992 KX250 low buck project

well ive never made an official project thread so bear with me. i plan to fully strip and repaint the frame, new plastics and graphics kit and eventually throw some sweet aftermarket parts on it.. i picked up this 1992 Kx250 for 130 bucks. its in pretty rough shape but i did get it running. IMG_0368.jpg

it was running crappy and it was blowing steam out the pipe so i took the head off and found a very deformed head gasketIMG_0371.jpgIMG_0372.jpg plus when i took the head off the gasket was wet in and the piston had some gas/water sludge on it.

i found out that it has a Wiseco piston that is 1.10mm over stock bore, im wondering if i can just get the head gasket from wiseco because on their site it only has a kit with a bunch of gaskets i dont need (already replaced)

thanks guys for the support. the guy wanted 150 but all i had in my wallet at the time was 130 and he took it:thumbsup: the clutch wouldnt disengage so i went to take the pressure plate off and one of the bolts would just spin and not thread out, so i jammed a screwdriver in the spring and hit it with the milwaukee impact and she came right out. then i found this nice jerry rig. IMG_0367.jpg i already ordered the new inner hub and it should be here in a week or so

Of course I love the '92 KXs, there is one in "my garage".

Just a hint, when assembling the clutch assembly make sure the spacer on the back of the pressure plate is correct. I have installed mine backwards and it gave me no adjustment in the cable. I should have known something was up when the cable was a beetch to connect and the barrel on the perch was almost all the way out.

1994 thru 2002? fork guards will work on yor bike. I just had to trim one side to use with my disc guard.

While the head is apart clean and inspect the powervalves. They are aluminum and the teeth on one side wear down more then the other. Good luck finding new ones if needed.

not sure if anyone is even paying attention to my thread but ill keep on anyway. got the new clutch hub the other day. been too busy with work the last couple of days. i guess thats part of the fun of running your own business.:bonk:

IMG_0377.jpg

im keeping up on your thread. that hub looks nice. to bad it will be covered up. still a good buy. i got my bike for free but was in a million pieces. i also spent almost a couple grand getting it back together just to break it and tear it all back apart. now for some serious upgrades.

your reed cage looks like new. good job! i have several stock cages myself but im going to put v force cage on mine. ive always like the v force and had great luck with them.

im keeping up on your thread. that hub looks nice. to bad it will be covered up. still a good buy. i got my bike for free but was in a million pieces. i also spent almost a couple grand getting it back together just to break it and tear it all back apart. now for some serious upgrades.

your reed cage looks like new. good job! i have several stock cages myself but im going to put v force cage on mine. ive always like the v force and had great luck with them.

haha thought i was alone. sometimes fleabay comes through pretty good, got the hub for $46. and as for the reed cage, i found this cleaner called LA's totally awesome, cleaner & degreaser. works EXCELLENT! plus i got it cheap at dollar general. its at least twice as good as simple green and purple power. at less than half the price this stuff is my only cleaner from now on:thumbsup:

i was looking at vforce and boyesen rad valve but budget in mind i went with the superstock fiberglass valves from boyesen for only $33

ill check at the dollar store and see if i can find that stuff. ebay is my friend right now. got my tank, soon a subframe. got plastic on watch. going to do what i can and save serious cash if i can with ebay. so far so good:thumbsup: cause the aftermarket head and eric gore bigbore will be my biggest expence.

Don't worry about buying high dollar aftermarket parts just yet. There will be many more problems for you to find on your bike before going crazy with the wallet can be justified. :bonk:

Don't worry about buying high dollar aftermarket parts just yet. There will be many more problems for you to find on your bike before going crazy with the wallet can be justified. :bonk:

i hear ya on this one. with more working on this bike i can guarantee ill find some more. my only plans for aftermarket parts so far is probably a billet gas cap and a new brake lever. only because my gas cap is shattered and the brake lever is broken off.

and Banshee what head were you thinking of getting for yours? i have seen the Phatheads and i thought the changeable combustion chambers were sweet, but have no plans to get one myself. not yet anyway:thumbsup:

Looking good, have fun with that build. I really miss my blue fork KX, it was the first "modern" 2-stroke I bought. I have been searching CL almost everyday looking for another to overhaul just as you are doing. I seriously doubt I will score one as nice or cheap as the one you found.

ill check at the dollar store and see if i can find that stuff. ebay is my friend right now. got my tank, soon a subframe. got plastic on watch. going to do what i can and save serious cash if i can with ebay. so far so good:thumbsup: cause the aftermarket head and eric gore bigbore will be my biggest expence.

didnt get the subframe, got sniped:foul:

i hear ya on this one. with more working on this bike i can guarantee ill find some more. my only plans for aftermarket parts so far is probably a billet gas cap and a new brake lever. only because my gas cap is shattered and the brake lever is broken off.

and Banshee what head were you thinking of getting for yours? i have seen the Phatheads and i thought the changeable combustion chambers were sweet, but have no plans to get one myself. not yet anyway:thumbsup:

the phathead is what im going for.

Looking good, have fun with that build. I really miss my blue fork KX, it was the first "modern" 2-stroke I bought. I have been searching CL almost everyday looking for another to overhaul just as you are doing. I seriously doubt I will score one as nice or cheap as the one you found.

i guess i got pretty lucky with this one. usually my little projects are not worth the steel their made of.

well installed the reeds, put in the new clutch hub, filed the basket a bit while i was in there. about 1/4 throttle and she fired right up third kick! she wont idle without a little throttle though even with the idle adjustment screw all the way in. the clutch is slipping real nice and where the head pipe meets the head is leaking like a screen door on a submarine. its louder in the front than at the end of the pipe. ive never owned a 2 stroke bike so im not sure how the power is supposed to be but it stumbles and jerks around at lower revs but ill open her a bit and and more stumbling, then BAM!! and im hanging on by my fingernails haha

i guess i got pretty lucky with this one. usually my little projects are not worth the steel their made of.

well installed the reeds, put in the new clutch hub, filed the basket a bit while i was in there. about 1/4 throttle and she fired right up third kick! she wont idle without a little throttle though even with the idle adjustment screw all the way in. the clutch is slipping real nice and where the head pipe meets the head is leaking like a screen door on a submarine. its louder in the front than at the end of the pipe. ive never owned a 2 stroke bike so im not sure how the power is supposed to be but it stumbles and jerks around at lower revs but ill open her a bit and and more stumbling, then BAM!! and im hanging on by my fingernails haha

get new o-rings for the pipe where it meets the cylinder. if not, you may run it lean and its the last thing you need. adjust the slide stop screw in till it idles, thats if the pilot isnt plugged up. but you said it fires on the third kick, so it might not be plugged. adjust your air/fuel screw one and a half turns out from full seated position and start from there. make sure you have at least a millimeter of freeplay on the twist throttle. clean airfilter. glad its running. cant wait to get mine running again.