Sign in to follow this  

2012 KX 250F - What will make it trail ready?

I am thinking of purchasing a new KX 250F and was curious what it would take to make woods-ready. I am currently riding a CRF 250r set up for Motocross. I grew up racing Hare Scrambles and Motocross on Kawasakis (60s - 125s). I was always comfortable on them. I recently got back into riding and would like to race competitively again. I have been researching the new 250 four strokes and undeniably, the Kawasaki has gotten the best reviews. I have been off the circuits for a little while now and it seems like everyone is riding KTM's in the woods. Any advice would be appreciated. Thanks!

I was in the exact situation. I've always loved my kxs grew up racing them. And last year got back into it and picked up a kx250f bike before was a 03 kx250. With out a doubt a revalved on suspension other then that the normal stuff like oversized tank, skid plate,hand gaurds. I don't know how fast you are but I am a fast A rider and at few times felt the 250f was under powered. But now I have a kx450f and kinda wish I had my 250f back again. Maybe with a 290 big bore kit ;-)

I wonder why Kaw and Suz don't make WR versions of their 250Fs. With the big KX power and the Suzy handling, you'd think they'd sell. We ride super-tight old-school enduro type stuff, many I ride with ditched their big 450Fs and went to 250Fs. Actually, many have gone back to the smokers.

Jack it up and slide a Husqvarna under it. LOL.

Really start with a total revalve of your suspension and a larger fuel tank. Don't forget to cut the bars down to about 30" (I like 29.5")and add bark busters.

Might want to add some flywheel weight to that MXer too. Finding a machine shop (I've got a friend) to make you one is a plus because you can start out big and have them shave it down if needed.

Depends on you, I know a lot of aggressive riders using bone stock MX biles for the woods. Well stock except for a spark arrestor.

Common mods though are fly wheel weight, suspension revalve, cyt down bars and 18 in rear. Larger tank not requitred unless you do some long races.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a rather aggressive riding style and still enjoy riding motocross. I also have rather high endurance, spending a good portion of the year training for triathlons. I was most concerned with high-speed handling.

Thanks for the advice, guys. I have a rather aggressive riding style and still enjoy riding motocross. I also have rather high endurance, spending a good portion of the year training for triathlons. I was most concerned with high-speed handling.

I'd say put on some barkbusters, skidplate if you ride rocks and rad guards and give it a go in the woods. From there if you are stalling a lot or just want to soften the hit think about flywheel weight, and get to know the suspension, if you can't get it dialed in to suit you have it reworked.

I have been off the circuits for a little while now and it seems like everyone is riding KTM's in the woods. Thanks!

There is a reason for that. Get a KTM Six Days and it is ready to race out of box.

Why buy a brand new motocross bike. made for motocross, if you want to race in the woods? am i missing something here?

I'm with jakeblues here. I would not jump to any conclusions about it until you ride it, you never know what works for some people may not work for you --things like skid plates should be considered standard add-ons for trails though.

And I personally am with you on the selection of green, you will be dusting em up out there with that badboy. My only thought is have you considered the 450? Don't know about your area but around here green has pretty good pricing. If I had some extra money I would be buying 2012 450 green myself.

• Like 1

Why buy a brand new motocross bike. made for motocross, if you want to race in the woods? am i missing something here?

Because MX bikes are lighter and have more HP than their off-road counterparts....

Because MX bikes are lighter and have more HP than their off-road counterparts....

yeah but there made for and set up MX! Its just a big waste to me. iof you want light and power go jump on a KTM 250/300

Whys it so hard to understand that not everyone wants to ride that orange crap??? The best woods racing bikes are MX bikes converted over.

THere are plenty of professionals racing and winning in the woods and they ride JAPS.

I enjoy riding/racing Motocross as well. I have ridden an '08 and '09 KTM XCF-W along with a 2011 KTM XC. No complaints, just didn't suit my riding style as much as I would like. Besides, I don't like to conform just b/c everyone is riding KTM's. :bonk:

I'm with jakeblues here. I would not jump to any conclusions about it until you ride it, you never know what works for some people may not work for you --things like skid plates should be considered standard add-ons for trails though.

And I personally am with you on the selection of green, you will be dusting em up out there with that badboy. My only thought is have you considered the 450? Don't know about your area but around here green has pretty good pricing. If I had some extra money I would be buying 2012 450 green myself.

I have considered a 450 and racing in a higher displacement class. I find riding the 250s to be more challenging. I am not out looking for the cushiest ride or the bike that will start the easiest or may not stall. I enjoy focussing on throttle control, positioning, and accurate clutching and braking. I won my first enduro on a KX80 when I was 12 years old (it was on private property so no license required) and raced Hare Scrambles for almost 10 years before going to college. Those last 2 statements were more directed at the people questioning why I don't buy a woods bike...

I have considered a 450 and racing in a higher displacement class. I find riding the 250s to be more challenging. I am not out looking for the cushiest ride or the bike that will start the easiest or may not stall. I enjoy focussing on throttle control, positioning, and accurate clutching and braking. I won my first enduro on a KX80 when I was 12 years old (it was on private property so no license required) and raced Hare Scrambles for almost 10 years before going to college. Those last 2 statements were more directed at the people questioning why I don't buy a woods bike...

I hear ya. Sounds like you found the right bike then:thumbsup::busted::bonk: Post up some pics when you get it.:awww::banana::smirk:

yeah but there made for and set up MX! Its just a big waste to me. iof you want light and power go jump on a KTM 250/300

Because he wants a 4t and he wants it green.

• Like 1