Sign in to follow this  

Adding 2T to thumper?

Hi, all. a friend of mine recently told me that to add 20ml of fully syn 2T oil to a tank full fuel to reduce engine component wear and tear. My question is how true is this? any one ever tried this or any proven statement/finding to this? thanks.

About the only thing it would "protect" would be carb interior or maybe valve faces?

Old wives tale. If it had any validity, the mfgr's would reccommend this in the manual.

It's especially good for 2 ring (+ oil rings) engines such as the Yamaha. I use abiout 10ml per 5 litres.

Makes everything happier and I have no carbon buildup on teardown.

Great infor on the finding article. I do see some different opinions here. But I gonna try it. Thanks everyone for your input.

IDK if it's a good idea. It may gum up the valves

From real world experience I can tell you it won't.

last time I saw this thread, the opinion settled on it doesn't do anything. Your 4t is designed by engineers that say you don't need to put oil in the fuel.

i ran out of gas in my truck one time and i siphoned gas out of the smoker so i could make it to a gas station. it's kinda odd smelling castor oil coming out of a truck lol

I don't think it will actually help anything mechanically. There is nothing that contacts fuel that needs lubrication. However, it definitely made my Toyota Corolla run better and get a bit better gas mileage. I used to mix a 4oz bottle while filling up my tank (~300:1). I suspect the oil created a slightly better ring seal on my well-abused engine.

Surely won't hurt anything - I've dumped 25:1 chainsaw mix into mowers, snowblowers, etc plenty of times, and regularly dump old 2-stroke mix into my truck to get rid of it. I also ran out of gas with my CRF250X and used 32:1 CR80 gas to get home. No biggie.

JayC

will it hurt anything? no

will it do anything? no

is it a wast of money? yes

im pretty sure this is just made up by people who are butt hurt that they switched to 4-strokes and want some of the 2 stroke fun back.