Sign in to follow this  

75 yz80 refresh

I'm going to fix up a 75 yz80 for me to play ride with my kids. It's fairly complete except for the front number plate. The plan is to do a top end, bottom if needed, return the plastic and tank to the original colors, paint the frame and motor, new foot pegs, sprockets, chain, and fork rebuild. If you have any info on heavier springs or larger foot pegs please let me know.

Here it is to start with. The PO painted it.

yz80.jpg

Thanks! I do like the yellow. It's funny to read people are buying the bikes they wanted as kids. This is one of the bikes I always wanted. It just took a few decades to get it. Who says dreams don't come true. :bonk:

I redid a '78 YZ80. It's in my TT "my garage" section. A front numberplate is easy to make. I couldn't find a mini #plate that did cost an arm and a leg so I bought a 12" oval plate and cut 1 or 1 1/2 inches of the circumferance. I sanded the edge down to make it smooth. You lose the molded edge but once I added a background no one notices. I made my own #plate mounts out of a coat hanger and found an oring to hold the plate to the forks.

I redid a '78 YZ80. It's in my TT "my garage" section.

That is a super nice '78 YZ80.:bonk: That took some work. Thanks for the number plate idea. Where would you recommended for OEM parts. I checked the TT store and they do not have anything for '75. How about for clutch plates or basket too?

Most of the items I needed I bought off of ebay. There was also my local dealer and Northwest Vintage out of Oregon or Washington. Go to the Yamaha website and you can print out the parts schematics for your bike. Since both of our motors shared parts with the mx/gt 80s there are plenty of parts still out there. Search the internet by part number. There is a marine place in Florida that will come up. Their name slips my mind. Their website will give part numbers associated with the part you look for. It also cross referances your part to other Yamaha models. I didn't do any clutch work. I only did the top end. I think our pistons are the same. I found one on ebay for around $20.

*subscribed*

That's my 1975 YZ80B linked in post #4 above. Haven't touched it since then; I'm still working on a 1975 XR75 restoration for now.

IMO, your bike is too nice and too rare to turn into a rider. Now, they are not changing hands for thousands of dollars (especially in this economy), but maybe someday...? The thing is, you take kids and competition dirtbikes, and it's not exactly a recipe for preservation.

The rarest parts are the body parts. DG Plastics sells reproduction plastics in a kit; I do not know if they will sell you just the front number plate. I've not seen their stuff in person. With reproduction parts, some are better than others, but they aren't going to be the same as the factory parts. I do know DG Plastics right side panels are plastic, whereas the oem part (as you know) is metal. I've been watching eBay for at least a year for YZ80 parts and I've never seen a half-decent oem right side panel for sale. Almost the same for oem fenders.

Engine parts and non-cosmetic parts are fairly easy too find. Most of these bikes got hammered to the point they are not salvageable, meaning that there is a fair number of donor bikes out there.

Good luck and post pictures of your project.

mele63 Welcome aboard and thanks for the tips.

I found gold under the blue paint. :bonk: I'm taking the blue off with acetone and cotton pads. Since the original paint is there I don't think I will repaint. Maybe some wax or a clear coat for more protection.

Picture001.jpg

Picture002.jpg

Cool! Did they even scuff the paint at all before painting it blue? You can see hoW the paint didn't adhere to the decal as well as the rest of the tank.

Cool! Did they even scuff the paint at all before painting it blue? You can see hoW the paint didn't adhere to the decal as well as the rest of the tank.

No, the tank wasn't scuffed before painting. It looks like the plastic was scuffed though.