Good boots? What to get

I'm looking for some new boots to ride with, right now I have alpine stars tech 3's but they just feel really stiff to me and I've used them a lot but they just don't seem to break in. What are some good beginner boots that are under $200 in your opinions?

You own tech 3's you have the best boots available under $200.. IN reality "good boots" and "less than $200" shouldnt be used in the same sentence.

Your best bet is to look for some used tech 7s or gaernes or similar.

Have you owned other MX boots? They arent going to feel like shoes or even work boots.. they need the stiffness for protection.

I had the Tech 3's for a couple years. They were ok but did tend to hurt my feet if I had them on for 4 hours or so. Just switched to Gaerne G React boot and so far I love them (maybe 12 hours riding time with them). The hinged ankle is pretty nice to have and I picked them up for $240 which is the best price by far I've found. Don't skimp on cheap gear, you'll only be disappointed.

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/servlet/the-3587/Gaerne-G-React-G-dsh-React/Detail

I had the Tech 3's for a couple years. They were ok but did tend to hurt my feet if I had them on for 4 hours or so. Just switched to Gaerne G React boot and so far I love them (maybe 12 hours riding time with them). The hinged ankle is pretty nice to have and I picked them up for $240 which is the best price by far I've found. Don't skimp on cheap gear, you'll only be disappointed.

http://www.cli-maxridinggear.com/servlet/the-3587/Gaerne-G-React-G-dsh-React/Detail

I also went from Tech 3's to G-React. I tried on Tech 7's the same day and the React was far more comfortable. Hinged ankle is nice, but still more supportive than Tech 3's. More than $200, but if you can come up with a few more $$ it's worth.

I tried on some fox comp 5's today and liked them, they have leather where the ankle needs to flex but still protection. & thier $180, anyone have an opinion on those?

I will never buy another pair of Fox boots. My kid destroyed his Comp 5's before he outgrew them. Buckle kits backordered indefinetly.They cost more than his previous A-stars, and those were in perfect shape when I gave them to another kid. IMO, Comp 5's are an overpriced cheap boot.

Like I said, IMO; it's your $$. My wife likes her Comp 5's, but she rides like 3 hrs a year.

I canvassed the market and decided on the AXO Dart boots. I'm very pleased with them. They're comfortable, protection is excellent, and they're quite affordable. They ought to get some consideration when making an off-road boot selection.

I tried on some fox comp 5's today and liked them, they have leather where the ankle needs to flex but still protection. & thier $180, anyone have an opinion on those?

I bought those for my GF, they've done well for her, and they are comfortable (I tried some on too).

You might consider trying some good riding socks with your Tech 3's if you haven't yet. I use MSR riding socks, they make a big difference in comfort to me.

Thanks for all the opinions, I keep seeing G12's pop up but I'll need to save up a few hundred more before those haha. & I'm trying to get a new bike so all my money is going toward that right now. Switching from a 98 KX125 to hopefully an 09 KX250f