Sign in to follow this  

timing chain crf450R

Ok, went to do the valve shim thing and messed up the timing somehow, made things worse when tried to fix it, seems as though the timing chain is caught up on the crank end, cant seem to get it long enough to go back on the cam and cant turn the motor over with the 8MM allen on the right side of motor, only turns maybe 1/4 inch either way. Any ideas?

was thinking of pulling off left side engine cover to get to timing chain but not sure that would work? I not real familar with the inside of one of these engines. Really not even sure if timing chain is bound up down by the crank just seems short and motor wont turn over?

You should be able to rock the crank back & forth while putting a little pressure on the chain & it should free right up.

your timing chain is bunched up at the crank gear. Like said rock it back and forth with tension on both sides of the chain and it will come out. Once out, make sure it is still on the gear. If not, slacken it, turn the crank and feed it back onto the gear

your timing chain is bunched up at the crank gear. Like said rock it back and forth with tension on both sides of the chain and it will come out. Once out, make sure it is still on the gear. If not, slacken it, turn the crank and feed it back onto the gear

+1

You can also look down through the chain passage w/ a flashlight in the head and jug and see the problem on the lower gear so you can get an idea of what needs to be done. The last time it happened to me I held the chain loosely and "shook" the bunch up on the lower gear out. You should not have to remove the left cover nor would you want to as there would be a 99% chance you'll rip the gasket.

Something else to check,

Be sure the shim is seated into the valve retainer and the bucket is fully seated on top of the shim.

well the motorcycle won this time, had to take it to the shop, could not get that chain free, they said it was bound up pretty bad, they had to pull engine case and fly wheel to get it up bound. I will know next time to keep better tension on that chain. thanks for the help

if your tackling your valve adjusting, you would have easily been able to take the left side cover off. Would have needed a $15 flywheel puller tool as you can damage the oil hole on end of crank without, but it is an easy job. I always put a film of oil on the outside of my cover gasket so the one side sticks to the engine case and the other side won't stick to the cover.. makes the job go very fast when doing something in there later.