Sign in to follow this  

300XC-W power band

So, having not been on a two-stroke since 1982, I wonder if the power band of the newer KTM's are wide enough to satisfy a CRF450 and KX450 rider.....specifically, the ability to grunt over objects using engine torque, and no wheelspin. I'm a big tall guy, and am looking for a lighter ride, but I have to have lot's of torque for my 6'4" 260lb frame. I like to ride everything, but the new two stroke would be specifically for tight single track and rocky riverbeds.

I had the same doubts before I went from Te450 to EXC300.

Finaly I made the moove and I was amazed how much tourque this machine has. You can log it down low like a tractor.

You can ride it like any 450+it is much lighter. Crossing logs is not a problem since it can lift front wheel in a sec.

I can not think of any negative thing in comperison to 450 - exept fuel consumption, but it has a bigger fuel tank than most 450 so the fuel range is the same.

Just go for it!

I am @260lbs with all my gear on. I came off of a modded XR650R with the same concerns. I ride mostly tight gnarly rooted, slippery, rutted, steep terrain. The 300 almost never flames out. There is more shifting and clutch work to be done on the 300 compared to my old torque monster, but it is sooo easy to do. And when the going gets a bit more open it accelerates harder than most 450's. I love how I can manhandle it too because it is sooo light. I highly doubt you would be disappointed with it riding the terrain you described!

Thanks guys, for all the feedback.

Time to start looking for a used Pumpkin!

I just switched from a CRF450R all set up for woods work. The 300 is the best bike ever for singletrack and woods riding. You will wonder why you messed with a big 4stroke after the switch.

So, having not been on a two-stroke since 1982, I wonder if the power band of the newer KTM's are wide enough to satisfy a CRF450 and KX450 rider.....specifically, the ability to grunt over objects using engine torque, and no wheelspin. I'm a big tall guy, and am looking for a lighter ride, but I have to have lot's of torque for my 6'4" 260lb frame. I like to ride everything, but the new two stroke would be specifically for tight single track and rocky riverbeds.

YES it will.........

I just switched from a CRF450R all set up for woods work. The 300 is the best bike ever for singletrack and woods riding. You will wonder why you messed with a big 4stroke after the switch.

And that's coming from a guy named 4strokes_rule!:bonk: