Sign in to follow this  

New to the dirt bike world

Hello,

I'm 25 and looking to purchase my first dirt bike. I have visited local shops and scanned through craigslist looking at bikes. I'm thinking of purchasing a cheaper 125 to get started and see if I enjoy the sport before I invest in a newer four stroke. Not sure if this is a good plan? Also buying new vs used??

Thanks in advance

Hello,

I'm 25 and looking to purchase my first dirt bike. I have visited local shops and scanned through craigslist looking at bikes. I'm thinking of purchasing a cheaper 125 to get started and see if I enjoy the sport before I invest in a newer four stroke. Not sure if this is a good plan? Also buying new vs used??

Thanks in advance

No friends with bikes? Buy used. What kind of riding will be the biggest decider on what type of bike to buy as far as size and style.

buying used will be your best bet.

make sure you are comfortable on the bike and dont take it to fast

when looking at a used bike check for the condition of the footpegs, grips, brakes etc for wear. also ask if it has had engine rebuilds and by who, if you are going to buy a 2 stroke you will almost certainly want to ask when it was rebuilt. good luck man :bonk:

yeah, i agree. buy used. getting a 2t 125 is a great place to start. they are fun to ride! i have to ask, why switch to a 4t when you upgrade? buy used again but get a 250 2t.

havefun in what ever you ride.

yeah, i agree. buy used. getting a 2t 125 is a great place to start. they are fun to ride! i have to ask, why switch to a 4t when you upgrade? buy used again but get a 250 2t.

havefun in what ever you ride.

Listen to this man, for he is wise :bonk:.

only thing is if you get a shitty one youre gonna spend more time working on it then riding and thats not a good way to start off..

make sure the engine isnt making any weird sounds, check for original things tires, sprockets, chain, that'll mean it wasnt really used or abused although they could have run it without oil or to lean, then your screwed. check the air filter, heck if they have other bikes look at them as well see how he keeps them, more than likely the bike your looking at would have been in that condition. 125 2t is fun and a good learning bike. Definitely buy used, i dont think i would buy a new 125 specially yamaha. I rode a 2 stroke this weekend and i didnt really like it(although it was an 85) felt to much vibration. I owned both a 125 2t and a 250f and i prefer the 250f. I have a ton of fun on them.

Craigslist prices tend to be much higher than the bikes are worth - for all kinds of bikes (street and dirt. Heck, cars as well!) - so do you research here and on forums for the bikes you are interested in before handing over a wad of cash.

Used and "set up" is a good way if your new. Recommendation from a local friend would be even better. You might be better off holding off and reaching out to your local riding 'community', making some friends, going out to the tracks or trails first.

Do you know people who ride already?

..a

Thanks for all the advice! I found a really nice '04 yz 250f that has original tires, chain and sprocket. It's at a bike shop they're asking $2300, it runs great. As far as the 4T being an upgrade to the 2, that is jus what I have picked up on reading different things. Also there's lots of people on craigslist looking to trade into a 4 or sell and make the switch. I really don't have any friends that ride but hopefully will makesome when I hit the tracks. I'm jus a fan of anything with an engine!

If it's your first bike and you have no riding buddies, get a Suzuki DRZ400, don't even consider anything else. They are plated so you can ride the road, saddle time is very very important. You can use it to commute to work everyday then on the weekends trailer it to the trails and have some fun.

If it's your first bike and you have no riding buddies, get a Suzuki DRZ400, don't even consider anything else. They are plated so you can ride the road, saddle time is very very important. You can use it to commute to work everyday then on the weekends trailer it to the trails and have some fun.

Im under the impression he wants to try his hand at MX???

If that is the case a 125 is a great place to start. For a beginner a 125 will be a handful on the track, and will give you years of loyal service. Some, probably most will disagree, but I dont recommend a 250f for a true beginner, yes its easier to ride a 250f but I say that because you will spend just as much time maintaining it as riding it. Not that a 125 doesnt need maintenance, its just less time consuming and cheaper if something does go wrong. Nothing worse than getting a sour taste in your mouth because of a bike failure that you cant afford to fix, turning you away from the sport.

If your just looking to ride in general, kayaker makes a great point! Grab yourself a DRZ or WR and hit the road and the trails!

Just keep in mind that this is an expensive sport, no way around it. If you cant handle wrenching on the bike, and maintaining it properly and think you can get awayawith bandaid fixes to save a dollar or two maybe you should take up another hobby. Not trying to come off rude, just trying to give an honest answer.:bonk:

Thanks for all the advice! I found a really nice '04 yz 250f that has original tires, chain and sprocket. It's at a bike shop they're asking $2300, it runs great. As far as the 4T being an upgrade to the 2, that is jus what I have picked up on reading different things. Also there's lots of people on craigslist looking to trade into a 4 or sell and make the switch. I really don't have any friends that ride but hopefully will makesome when I hit the tracks. I'm jus a fan of anything with an engine!

I would really suggest against an older 4 stroke, they arnt as good of a learning tool, and if it blows up you are going to regret it....NOT CHEAP. A 125 2 stroke will teach you much more. Also you can work on it yourself or even rebuild the top end for $100. compared to upwards of $1000 if that 250f blows. Around where I live 2 strokes have made a huge comeback in MX, the local track is actually dominated 250 2 strokes spanking the 250f's since they run in the same class. Just my 2 cents....if i were you id be looking into a 250 2 stroke since they are actually easier to ride since they have low end...just gotta control the power till you get used to it. Id look for a 06+ YZ250...they can be had for under $2500

How about a yamaha TTR 230? I know of a nice one for sale and I'm kind of partial to yamaha's. I'm not really able to ride a bike to work I have a company truck I drive daily. Do you think the 250f would be too much bike or what?

A little more about the DRZ. Yep, it's not a motocross bike, not ever going to be, but with some massaging, suspension springs and valving, carb, and exhaust it can be made capable. That massaged DRZ can also go anywhere offroad, high speed desert whoops, been there done that. Singletrack, twisty, turny, rocky, rooty, mountain switchbacks, been there too. I have also paddled up and hit the sand dunes. When geared for road, been on 200+ mile runs, with indicated speeds of 98 mph.

The DRZ is a highly capable all round machine and is an ideal first motorcycle. Hit up the DRZ forum and you will find that I am not the only DRZ supporter and there are several DRZ fanatics.