Sign in to follow this  

SouthCarolina Enduro Newbie

I am registered for my first enduro in January in SC. I have ridden for years, but never entered a race. What do I need to know about racing an Enduro? It is in Sumter, SC.

Thanks in advance.

-What Swampfox said times 10.

-Be sure your bike/trailer/whatever is parked in a secure location. There've been some bike thefts at some events.

-Expect lots of sand whoops.

-Know your fuel range and set up the appropriate to gas can logistics (the instructions on the event flyer should tell you about gas can drop offs).

Make sure you take some protein bars with you during the race. Sumter will exhaust you! You will appreciate having the opportunity to put some fuel back in your tank.

Run a mix of 50/50, water to Gatorade or similar in a camelbak. I carry 100 oz.

just have fun.

make sure you stop and get scored at all checks

stay with the guys on your row at the restarts

get handgaurds

You will have a blast! :bonk::smirk:

They will start the race exactly on time. Sumter is usually whooped out so...be ready to destroy your legs.:banana: Firm up suspension a bit to help with the sandy conditions.

It should be a pretty casual, laid-back event and the race directions are pretty clear regarding stops...including the gas stop which may even be back in the main pit area.

Familiarize yourself with the other riders on your row...it won't take long to sort out who's fast and who's not. Be sure to get to the line for your next start a few minutes ahead to get together with the same group. Let the fast guys go and ride your own ride.

An enduro is like no other event you've run...pace yourself and try to make your last section your quickest of the day.

Cheers!

-Jay

Get out to see what it's like at the Broxton race on Jan 15, then you have two weeks to recover or prepare for Sumter. Details should be on the SETRA website. They usually take sign-ups the morning of the race, it's a lot of fun unless it rains a bunch. http://familyridersmc.files.wordpress.com/2011/02/5th-annual-broxton-bridge-flyer2012-1.pdf

Edited by Toby259
Update