Sign in to follow this  

Originally wanted KX85 basket case price now new to my son 97 KX100

I have been looking for a bike for my son. He has not shown much interest in riding and thought I would try one more time. He has a 2000 XR100. He is 15 years old. He is small kid and not ready for full size 125 yet. I cant get him to sit on my CRF250 or my KX250 even with the bike not started. He is 5 foot 2 and just at 100 lbs. Ideally a KX100 would be probably perfect for him but I do not have the money for an expensive bike. I think he doesnt have the cool factor on the XR. I found a 2002 kx85 for sale locally that is missing the chain, and needs new levers and bars. It does not start right now but it does have compression. All the plastics and seat are currently removed from the bike. The owner is asking 300, I offered 100 and they countered with 200. I am a mechanic so repair work is not a problem other than parts prices. I dont want to break the bank and have him never ride it either. Is that a safe price to buy a basket case at?

Edited by condor74

for an 02 and they are willing to sell at $200. id buy it right away. even if the child doesnt want to ride, you have in case he does or you have yourself a nice pit bike. you can't beat that price.

I think I am going to get it assuming they still have it on Friday. That is the next time I can make it into the town where it is.

What kind of chain does it use? I have a brand new chain in the garage that my wife bought for her quad a few years back. we dont have the quad anymore but I still have the chain.

probably a 420....you should be able to pick one up off ebay for cheap...go on rockymountainmc website and enter the bike info and they will give you machine specs for the bike to be certain...

• Like 1

call them up and tell them you will be there to get it. that way they can hold it for you. and when you do get it, post pics. :bonk:

if anything you could make money if you know how to buy stuff cheap and make other things work. thats a sweet deal sounding to me. but the kx100 would be a better bike by choice but when an offer like this comes up you gotta do it.

I agree on the KX100 being what I really want but the 85 is available in my price range. I just texted him letting him know I will pay the 200 if he can wait till tomorrow night or Saturday morning.

Unfortunately he said he is going out of town tonight and wont be back till next tuesday. So I have to wait. I was hoping to mess around with it this weekend.

at least he knows you will be buying it. sucks you cant get it this weekend, but you soon will and have fun learning what makes it tick.:bonk:

I will hopefully be picking up the KX85 tomorrow. I found another KX also but it is about 2 and 1/2 hours away. He is willing to trade my sons XR100 plus 150 for his KX100. This 100 runs but is not registered so I don't know the back fees. I did have him text me the VIN so i could call the local Police Dept and verify it is not stolen. It is not stolen but not registered either. The biggest problem with that bike is the distance and the owner is very immature. I don't know if it is because he is a kid or if he is just that sketchy. I also a bit nervous about making a trade/purchase with a minor. He is 14 and says the kx has way to much power for him. He keeps asking me how fast my XR is..I don't know really how to answer this. Top speed? I imagine it can get up over 45 alright but top speed is not usually how I judge how fast a bike is. The plus side is the the KX100 is really what I would prefer for my son. What legally do I have to worry about entering into a transaction with a minor? If the deal is still possible tomorrow I think I will verify his parents are going to be involved. Hell for all I know he could be trading his buddy's bike.

So the plan is now to pick up both bikes. If I dont get the 100 then I will fix and keep the 85. If I do get the 100 then I wil fix and sell the 85. Either way it will be fun hopefully.

I spent the last hour trying to get my sons XR to run so I can make the trade. The jets were plugged up in the carburetor from sitting so long. The last time I started it I was not able to get the pilot jet unplugged and had to get a new one. Well it was plugged up again. I took it out and soaked in carb cleaner for a few hours then spent about 2 hours trying to work a single strand of wire into it. Eventually I got it pushed through and ran it back and fourth several times and it appears clean. It starts and runs now but it has a bit of a hesitation when you go WFO. Other than that it runs smooth. I may throw in enough money to get a main jet for it. It is easy to change.

200 can sound appealing. In my area I have seen kx mini go for as little 800. A basket case bike didn't get that way by being loved. It moat likely was beat on and not maintained.Parts totals can ad up quickly. Not saying that you should not buy it. Only to look at it realistically

I have a stator and ECU to test you can stock parts against if you need them.It wont cost much to ship

• Like 1

200 can sound appealing. In my area I have seen kx mini go for as little 800. A basket case bike didn't get that way by being loved. It moat likely was beat on and not maintained.Parts totals can ad up quickly. Not saying that you should not buy it. Only to look at it realistically

I have a stator and ECU to test you can stock parts against if you need them.It wont cost much to ship

I understand that it could be expensive to fix. Things that I know going in are bars, levers, and chain. That is about $100 worth of stuff. I will look and see if it has spark when I get to it. I figure worst case scenario it might need a piston and hopefully not a new cylinder. If it starts to look to much like a money pit i will sell it or part it out.

Well at least for now the KX85 is a no go. The guy is not returning my texts or emails. Either he sold it or is just really flakey. I was planning to drive to go get the KX100 but on Sunday I had a blow out and the tires are rare and expensive so I will not be taking it out of town riding on the spare. Stupid 16.5 inch rims. I still thinking on renting a truck and driving the 180 or so miles to get the KX100. It is a running bike at least. I believe it is a 97. Is there any years on the KX100 to stay away from? Or any known problems with said year? Can you update the plastics fairly easy to make the bike more modern? I know looks shouldnt mean that much but I think part of the problem with my son not wanting to ride the XR100 is it looks like an old school trail bike from the 80s. It is hard to dream of riding like Villapoto or Chad Reed when you are riding a bike that looks like a tractor.

If the guy locally who has the kx85 calls back then I may still get it but that doesnt seem to be happening now.

finding a good project bike and grtting your son involved in the re build my spark his interest

that said..keep it cheap...keep it simple...and be sure the power difference between the kx 100 and the xr 100 ixnt to big of a jump

that 100 will rip pretty hard comparitavley

• Like 1

I understand the big power difference. I am hoping that he will adapt. I am going to tell him to ride a gear high and stay off the pipe till he is comfortable with it. Also plan to ride in as soft of dirt as I can find. I dont want to warn him to much though cause if i tell him to much he may get scared and not enjoy it because of that.

I would mostly let him figure it out himself. I went from a pw50 to a kx65. not a good transition with almost no seat time. My dad let me first ride mine in his 5 acre dirt lot, graded with 3/4" rock. If you can find an open area with some base like that he will get used to it very quick. Also retard the timing to take off so much of the hit so he is not hitting it like a 65. then turn timing back once he rides it for awhile like a month. I know a couple tricks on how to help kids transition. my dad didnt spend a perverbial hour teaching me, I learned everything myself mostly. spend time with him and make sure he has enough space to wander about and enjoy shifting through the gears on the pipe. that was always my fav thing to do on my 65, pin it and shift all 6! he will be hooked instantly! if you need advice we are here. and also loosen up the suspension so it is nice and cushy. makes learning easier and fun forshizzle.

I am lucky in that the area I ride has plenty of wide open areas with softish dirt. It sucks that it kicks up lots of dust when you ride but good in that it is not landing on rocks if you crash. I know no soft ground is soft when you crash but some is softer than others.

you CANNOT legally do a deal with a 14 year old. Make sure you get the parents involved. If this kid blows up the bike 20 min after you leave, in court he gets his kx back and you get a broken xr!!!!!