Sign in to follow this  

what cam to get? (crf175f)

hey guys, I am working on my trail play bike. I bought it with a new bbr kit already installed. I was stuck for a while on wanting to just put a 230 motor in it, but a couple friends are getting these so I want to keep mine in the same league. I want to get a nice cam that will throw some power up top. but something that wont sacrifice maintenance. It already has stiffer valve springs, so i want something I can just throw in and go. Thanks guys

also i must add, the bbr 175 kit cam with the a cam, but I dont know the specs, so I have no way of comparing it to others. they do say it needs the valve springs to operate correctly

You know what, I've had the 170cc Engine's only set up and now I have Coeshoe's 230 conversion, but with a stock piston. I did the stock piston because I wanted to know the different between that and when I put a hi compression piston in.

Anyway, if you do the 230 engine, I don't think you'll have that much of an advantage, but to say that, let me explain because there is a difference.

175 vs 230. Well the 175 is a high compression piston and your pals have a cam. In my (personal) experience, my 170 w/ cam was really strong up top (in the higher rpms).

That, compared to the 230? They were really close.

As for the low end, well the 230 kills it, but if you are riding with your buddies, I'm thinking you are doing high speed so in the end, I don't see any fault with the 230 engine, if you go that route.

Now if you put a hi-comp piston, however, then I don't know. We might have to call you a "cheater!" But hey, that's what friends are for, right?

You know what, I've had the 170cc Engine's only set up and now I have Coeshoe's 230 conversion, but with a stock piston. I did the stock piston because I wanted to know the different between that and when I put a hi compression piston in.

Anyway, if you do the 230 engine, I don't think you'll have that much of an advantage, but to say that, let me explain because there is a difference.

175 vs 230. Well the 175 is a high compression piston and your pals have a cam. In my (personal) experience, my 170 w/ cam was really strong up top (in the higher rpms).

That, compared to the 230? They were really close.

As for the low end, well the 230 kills it, but if you are riding with your buddies, I'm thinking you are doing high speed so in the end, I don't see any fault with the 230 engine, if you go that route.

Now if you put a hi-comp piston, however, then I don't know. We might have to call you a "cheater!" But hey, that's what friends are for, right?

true, but i call them cheaters, because most of them have more money and are either getting new 150f's or 150r's. I think the BBR cam is near or slightly above a stage 1 cam. would I get more gain from something like a flat slide 28-30 mm carb?

true, but i call them cheaters, because most of them have more money and are either getting new 150f's or 150r's. I think the BBR cam is near or slightly above a stage 1 cam. would I get more gain from something like a flat slide 28-30 mm carb?

Well, of course there are "cheaters!" I figured from your post, it sounded like you'd keep it in line, but I sort of set it up to if your pals cheat, you'd have lots of room to say, "Oh YEAH!!! Watch this!!!" :bonk:

Cam or 28 carb? Humm. I think we might have to wait for someone else to answer that because I think my opinion would be different from everyone else.

Eh, I'll share my thoughts. Got nothing better to do.

I'm thinking cam. I've ran the 28 carb and it worked good, but I didn't like the adjustment abilities on it because I like to change parts so I got rid of it.

I'm running a CRF230 carb now and the 28 might have been more crisp, but it wasn't bad so I'm good.

Anyway, if you just do a cam, I don't think there's much of a difference. If you get a hi-comp piston, however, and maybe a pipe, there's a good difference.

From what I found a pipe, carb, and cam, don't change much. Even porting didn't do as much as I had hoped. Together, however, they all become one and then you're mov'n . . .Mov'n good too. Like I said, that's just my observation. Hope it helps.

The hi-comp piston is an instant boost by itself.

Well, of course there are "cheaters!" I figured from your post, it sounded like you'd keep it in line, but I sort of set it up to if your pals cheat, you'd have lots of room to say, "Oh YEAH!!! Watch this!!!" :bonk:

Cam or 28 carb? Humm. I think we might have to wait for someone else to answer that because I think my opinion would be different from everyone else.

Eh, I'll share my thoughts. Got nothing better to do.

I'm thinking cam. I've ran the 28 carb and it worked good, but I didn't like the adjustment abilities on it because I like to change parts so I got rid of it.

I'm running a CRF230 carb now and the 28 might have been more crisp, but it wasn't bad so I'm good.

Anyway, if you just do a cam, I don't think there's much of a difference. If you get a hi-comp piston, however, and maybe a pipe, there's a good difference.

From what I found a pipe, carb, and cam, don't change much. Even porting didn't do as much as I had hoped. Together, however, they all become one and then you're mov'n . . .Mov'n good too. Like I said, that's just my observation. Hope it helps.

The hi-comp piston is an instant boost by itself.

I already have a high comp. piston, and a pro circuit exhaust.