Sign in to follow this  

Which Is Worth Buying? XR650R

A mostly stock non-plated 2002 XR650R for $2900:

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2002-Honda-XR-W0QQAdIdZ341342474

Versus a 2001 XR650R plated and more mods, stock engine for $5000. (IMO Price is on the high side. Last one I tried for this price was an '03 and had a dealer installed HRD kit, steet legal DS, plus sumo wheels included.)

http://alberta.kijiji.ca/c-cars-vehicles-motorcycles-dirt-bikes-motocross-2001-Honda-XR650R-Plated-W0QQAdIdZ333089714

Both bikes are within a 3 hour drive of me, so I could take the price down a tad for that.

Opinions?

I don't know what prices are normally like in Canada. or how hard it is to get an XR650R plated there, but $5k seems crazy high to me.

I don't know what prices are normally like in Canada. or how hard it is to get an XR650R plated there, but $5k seems crazy high to me.

Crazy? More like fricking ridiculous. Somebody is selling a bike because their wife is making him do it. So to ensure it doesnt sell, he is jacking the price up. This way he can please her by "trying" to sell it, yet ensure it never leaves the garage. Then after about 6 months she will give in and let him keep it.

Hmmmmm? Wonder how i would know about that little scam.:bonk:

• Like 1

A plated XR650R isn't too hard up here, just need a DS kit and an inspection just as usual. The non-plated one is one of the better priced ones I've seen in that condition. The best I've seen was the HRC modded one for $5K earlier this year. It got sold in under 4 days though. :bonk: High bike prices is something we just got to deal with up here. Hell, some people want $3900 for a used XR400, or $2500 for a well-used X250R (I got mine three years ago for $2300 with the stock tire still having most of the tire chalk on them).

I bought my highly modded plated XRR for $2200 so I would say both of those bikes are over priced.

I live about an hour directly north of the border. I can't really find much around inthe Montana/Idaho area for a 650R.

As for high prices, most of us have to grind down the price or hopefully find a good deal hiding somewhere. Sucky, but that's life.

i have bought two virtually new 02's in the last two years for $1500 and $2100.

if he wants to sell, offer him less.

i have bought two virtually new 02's in the last two years for $1500 and $2100.

if he wants to sell, offer him less.

That's the way we roll up here, unless the price is fair, which, most of the time isn't.

a 2000 xr650 can be legally plated in alberta.the early frame is labeled as a motorcycle not an"offhighway vehicle only"machine.i believe the later ones are labeled as such so they can,t be converted.i have a plated 650 that i think i,m going to sell.has about 3500 kms on it.owned it since new.my dual sport kit needs a little work though(rear fender and turn signals.

a 2000 xr650 can be legally plated in alberta.the early frame is labeled as a motorcycle not an"offhighway vehicle only"machine.i believe the later ones are labeled as such so they can,t be converted.i have a plated 650 that i think i,m going to sell.has about 3500 kms on it.owned it since new.my dual sport kit needs a little work though(rear fender and turn signals.

Would you like to wager a bet on this that your wrong?

Would you like to wager a bet on this that your wrong?

my bike is inspected insured and plated.it,s legal.i was told ,at the time i did it,that it having motorcycle on the frame is the difference .you can not register a bike when the frame says "off highway vehicle only".the xr650r does come in a legal setup in other parts of the world.i have heard the newer frames(don,t know what years)say offhighway vehicle.

so maybe you can,t register a xr currently but mine is.alberta hasn,t grandfathered in any laws yet either.

my bike is inspected insured and plated.it,s legal.i was told ,at the time i did it,that it having motorcycle on the frame is the difference .you can not register a bike when the frame says "off highway vehicle only".the xr650r does come in a legal setup in other parts of the world.i have heard the newer frames(don,t know what years)say offhighway vehicle.

so maybe you can,t register a xr currently but mine is.alberta hasn,t grandfathered in any laws yet either.

Of course they will tell you it's "legal", Untill you get into an accident.

Still, would you like to wager a bet that it isn't truly legal!? I lived in Calgary, I have spent the better part of a full month researching about motorcycles, what's legal, what's not. Your bike, though it is registered and insured is NOT street legal. If you get into a accident, and a claim is made, you will need to submit your bike for inspection. They will run the vin, then start going through the bike a find that the lights, blinkers, ignition, frame, etc. etc. are not DOT aprroved! Your insurance company will deny your claim, find your insurance null and void.

Just for other puposes, a CR250R was made street legal in other countries also, it doesn't make it legal here though!

But if your still insist your bike is legally street legal, 5min at the right building will prove to you it isn't!

Still, would you like to wager a bet that it isn't truly legal!? I lived in Calgary, I have spent the better part of a full month researching about motorcycles, what's legal, what's not. Your bike, though it is registered and insured is NOT street legal. If you get into a accident, and a claim is made, you will need to submit your bike for inspection. They will run the vin, then start going through the bike a find that the lights, blinkers, ignition, frame, etc. etc. are not DOT aprroved! Your insurance company will deny your claim, find your insurance null and void.

Just for other puposes, a CR250R was made street legal in other countries also, it doesn't make it legal here though!

But if your still insist your bike is legally street legal, 5min at the right building will prove to you it isn't!

dude ,my bike was approved by the province.it can,t get any more legal.

my bike is plated since day one (2000). ICBC has now changed its policy regarding the ROM labeling on the frame. since ~2009 they won't plate a DS kit if the frame has a ROM label. the currently plated ones here can stay. no new imports though.

i am assuming that other provinces are going along the same routes though.