Sign in to follow this  

07 Exhaust Valves

Hey Everyone,

Had problems with my 07 250R not starting at the last race. Long Story short my dad and i checked the exhaust valves and they were out of spec. I was then told that it is almost never the exhaust valves that go out of spec first but the intakes normally that go out first. My dad told me it is the other way around tho. Not really sure what to believe.

So...

Which valves if any usually go out first?

If it is in fact the intakes that usually go out first then why would my exhuasts be out of spec first?

Thanks for the help

It's common that the intake valves go out of specs. Stock intake valves are made of titanium and they have a protective coating on them that wears off from ingesting dirt and dust in through the intake track bypassing the air filter. The exhaust valves are steel. The rarely go bad or out of adjustment. They do break from time to time for no reason. About the only time I've had to adjust any intake valves is when the bike is bought new and the factory set them wrong which is not unusal. I wish I could tell you why your exhaust valves are out of specs. Do you know if they were right to begin with? Are you sure that you are measuring the exhaust valves and not the intakes? The exhaust valves are checked under the wish bone rocker arm at the very front of the engine.

I agree with Charlie C from my own experience, my intake vales gone out of spec 2 or 3 times now, while the exhaust stay fine (0.28mm about 0.011 inch). Intake should be about 0.12mm = 0.005