1984 Yamaha TT600

Hi, I am new to this forum. There is a decent deal on 2 running TT600 bikes and a parts bike. Has anyone had experience with these bike? What is the top speed and how good is it on gas?

I owned a 1983 TT-600K back around 1990.

I really enjoyed the bike.

It was a typical big thumper from that time period - big, heavy, good suspension for trail riding or general play riding, great brakes, it started very easily, easy wheelies and powerslides, and plenty of power and torque which is the whole reason a 600cc single exists in the first place.

The engine is understressed compared to a motocross bike, so as long as you don't do something wrong, it would last you years between overhauls.

I didn't give mine a top speed test, but I'm guessing around 75mph with stock gearing.

Gas milage seemed fine to me, although I didn't bother to actually measure it.

The bike came with a reasonably large fuel tank, as did all off-road bikes back then, and I think it was around 2.75 gallons.

By comparison, my 2009 Honda CRF-450X is 1.9 gallons, and my 2009 Yamaha WR-250F is 2.1 gallons.

I would echo what YZEtc said. :bonk: They also respond well to hop-up items.

I'm a big fan of these bikes.

As far as top speed, if you believe the motorcycle magazine tests of the day, it was 85 mph. I've never had a speedometer on any of mine so I couldn't tell ya.

In my opinion, that sounds high unless one of them is in fabulous condition.

Yeah, that sounds high to me too. However I understand bike prices are considerably higher in Canada.

One was just rebuilt and both of them are in great condition plastic wise. There's also 3 top ends 1 bottom end, a pipe, and several other parts.

When you get them put up some pics!

The TT was a good bike for it's time, and should be a fun bike for most of

the riding you want to do today. I have a 86 XT600 and it's great.

As for your original questions, your mileage may vary but my XT gets close to

50mpg on the road, off road and flogging it will no doubt be less, but it will

be better that many highly tuned bikes. My XT is geared very high, and will do

90+ but TT gearing will have you lower than that.

I also have a TT 600 Project in need of some parts, might be interested

in some of your spares! I want to do a SuperMoto with mine!

not everybody is a racer (they think they are) my tt will fit my needs on road and off road , as it did back in 83. (off road only in 83-the 1st yr--my tt is an 85 now) yes not close to the bikes of today, but still fun! my tt500 will be fun also if i ever finish it. (not close to stock as my tt6 is modded as will be the tt5) have fun if you by them-------

Great bikes :bonk: Wish I still had my old '83.

Had knee re-construction surgery and sold it because it took more leg than I had to start it cause it was a beast to kick.

Rode like a Cadillac. Still have a service manual for it I think.

On 9/23/2018 at 12:44 PM, Sean Sommerville said:

I have an 83 tt? 600 k and it needs a top end rebuild I have all the parts to do it but the cylinder sleeve seems longer than the top-end itself is supposed to be that way

The sleeve extends below the cylinder assembly a ways when it's pressed in, if that's what you're talking about.

Funny thing is, most of us more used to older long-stroke thumpers look at modern bikes and wonder where 

the cylinder is! 

The 250's especially look like they're all head and it's directly on the crankcase.....

• Like 1

16 minutes ago, Muzz67 said:

Funny thing is, most of us more used to older long-stroke thumpers look at modern bikes and wonder where 

the cylinder is! 

The 250's especially look like they're all head and it's directly on the crankcase.....

That's how it looks on my 83 yamaha

On 9/27/2018 at 12:14 PM, Sean Sommerville said:

Like it's going to be sitting on the crank want to put it all back together

You need to post up some pictures so we can understand and help identify your issue.

I'm in the midst of my own TT project ('83).  Appreciate another thread running on the topic.  Been a great project for this non-mechanic type... taught me a bunch.

I bought a non-running '84 for parts.  If there's something you can't find let me know.  Maybe we can trade.