Sign in to follow this  

FNG on a YZ in SD

just got a 'new' (to me) 2002 YZ250....its been about 10+ years since i owned a dirtbike and finally got one this Christmas.

i'm a big DIYer so i'll probably be asking a lot of questions...hope you guys dont mind.

if anyone is in the san diego area, hit me up, i'm always looking for riding buddies.

....i promise i'll try to get into 3rd gear at least....

btw, anyone ever run engine ice? i was planning on flushing the bikes cooling sys and was looking into the ice stuff....kinda pricey tho :bonk:

Welcome to TT! I use Engine Ice. $21 a bottle around here, but the stuff comes out as blue as it goes in. I actually try to drain it back into the bottle if I haven't used it for 5 or 6 rides and I'm ripping into the engine for something. I'm not sure if it's doing anything, but I know it's not messing anything up. I was told that you absolutely cannot mix it with regular coolant. Hope that helps.

It will lower the engine temps. However, unless you are riding in very tight and very slow technical areas where there is very little airflow across the radiators, you really don't need it. Normal antifreeze is fine for most riders.

awesome, thanks for the input guys. it looks like i'll be sticking with the regular coolant stuff for now.

@$26/bottle, i may as well just buy some regular coolant and with the left over $ buy some gear oil, plugs, premix or at least a beer....

do you guys run just regular 50/50 auto coolant? or something fancy....

btw, anyone ever run engine ice? i was planning on flushing the bikes cooling sys and was looking into the ice stuff....kinda pricey tho
awesome, thanks for the input guys. it looks like i'll be sticking with the regular coolant stuff for now.

@$26/bottle, i may as well just buy some regular coolant and with the left over $ buy some gear oil, plugs, premix or at least a beer....

Good plan. Any YZ250 from 1999 up is EXCELLENT if it's in good OEM condition. If you're overheating it, then consider aftermarket upgrades. Stock setup is great on these bikes. I have a 2002, and I can tell you with zero doubt that the best money spent will be first on a suspension re-valve (with the right springs for your weight) followed by good jetting for your climate and type of fuel.

Beyond suspension and jetting, there's not much you really NEED to do to make the YZ work well.

thanks cw, i appreciate the advice. the suspension has already been done up by RACE TECH, however i have no clue to what weight it was dialed in for.

regarding the jetting, this is definitely something i plan on doing asap...is it as simple as just buying a new (tuned) jet and replacing it on the carb? or is this something a shop will have to do?

its been 10+ years since i laid hands on a bike and today i actually got ambitious and changed all the fluids on the YZ + cleaned my air filter....i know, i know, what a lame ass...but for someone who has been sitting behind a desk/pc for the last 5 years, i actually think i deserve a cookie. :bonk:

The only reason you should use engine ice, is if you bike tends to overheat over long periods, if not use reg antifreeze, engine ice is a rip off, even though it does have a long boil and freeze point, its not worth it if you bike running good

First off... Congrats on the new bike!

The only reason I use Engine Ice is because I get it pretty cheap. I run it in my 450 so its usually easier just to pick up enough to do all the bikes while Im there. As everyone else said, I dont believe its necessary in the Yz. It runs cool enough that your likely wasting your money. If your boiling your coolant you have other issues. Keep the money your saving by not running engine ice and buy yourself a few extra bottles of premix.

Just flush the system out and use some plain Jane 50/50 blend with distilled water. You can obviously up that number if you feel you need more coolant.

thanks again for the input guys.

hopefully this next one isnt too stupid of a question...

i know 2strokes smoke and spooge, but i noticed on my YZ that right where the pipe (expansion chamber) meets the engine block,m there is a SERIOUS amount of spooge coming out. i also have a small amount coming out the pipe (muffler) too, but not nearly as much as out of the block.

i am running a 32/1 mix for fuel....and i accidentally forgot to wipe the excess off my air filter the other day...so i could be running a bit rich (better rich than lean right)...but regardless, the spooge is a serious amount.

actually i just got the bike, so not sure what the previous owner did.

i was gonna rip the pipe off soon to clean it out, what type RTV do you recommend i use?

First thing you should do when getting a new to you new buike is take off the pipe and have a look into the jug. You see a lot of blow by its time for a topend. I use over the counter stuff just heat resistante. Gray I go normally for or red.

I only use the o-rings. If the pipe is seating properly, the o-rings will seal and you won't have any leakage at that junction.

There are several threads around here that discuss excess spooge and what can be the causes and potential solutions. Step one would be to verify your topend condition and jetting in that order.

A worn topend will make jetting your bike nearly impossible.

thanks cw, i appreciate the advice. the suspension has already been done up by RACE TECH, however i have no clue to what weight it was dialed in for.

regarding the jetting, this is definitely something i plan on doing asap...is it as simple as just buying a new (tuned) jet and replacing it on the carb? or is this something a shop will have to do?

its been 10+ years since i laid hands on a bike and today i actually got ambitious and changed all the fluids on the YZ + cleaned my air filter....i know, i know, what a lame ass...but for someone who has been sitting behind a desk/pc for the last 5 years, i actually think i deserve a cookie. :bonk:

There's a nice jetting sticky in the "2 stroke FAQ" at the top of the forum. Good stuff, the best thing I've done to my bike.

well, i found out why the bike spooges out of the exhaust/top end area.....turns out the previous owner took a spill and actually bent the pipe ever so slightly so that it does not seat properly against the cylinder...also the curved part of the pipe that sits close to the frame right before the big expansion chamber is 'pinched' or crunched into the frame.... so it is probably restricting the exhaust some.

anyone got a Pro Circuit pipe (expansion chamber) they are willing to sell? or even a full exhaust system for a 02 YZ250?