Sign in to follow this  

2011 YZ450 or KX450

Hey all

New to the forums and been lurking for a while. I have finally decided to buy a 2011 450 and am having trouble deciding. I'm about 6'4 and 240lb and plan on riding mostly trails here in Aus with maybe the very occasional visit to mx track. Skill level would be novice, I have riden dirt bikes off and on for years but have spent far more time on road bikes. I have my heart set on a 450. Ive test ridden the 2010 Yz and enjoyed the low end power, color and sound it put out.

On the other hand I have read reviews that the kx is a better bike especially for bigger riders? I Probably wouldn't be able to test ride one though. How does the kx compare in terms of low end power and sound? I'm not a huge fan of the green and would probably change plastics.

The price is exactly the same for either bike so which should I go with?

Any help would be greatly appreciated.

im 6'4" also i have a kx 450 and its has the biggest cockpit of the mx bikes, the kx will feel a little slower to turn in the tight trails, it feels heavy. i know you said your heart is set on a 450, but ktm 2 stroke woods bikes are awesome, the 300 exc is a very nice bike

Cheers customss. I will take a look at a 300exc although it may be just out of my price range. I found a kx450 for 1500 less than anywhere else so it will probably be the deciding factor i was looking for.

That 1500 will be well served in your pocket, suspension, bars and a couple of other custom parts are really necessities for guys your size to be comfortable on a bike.

Looks like ill only save 1k now. Apparently the cheaper one is a grey import. But money saved can definitely be put toward other parts especially suspension!