Sign in to follow this  

Ht racing 400 bigbore report

I have ridden my bike twice (2011 ktm 350) with the kit and its awesome :banana:

Im not going into specifics as Riccks thread covers everything and I strongly second it and thoroughly recommend it :smirk:

My only problem is to sort out the gearing as the power and torque is so much more linear that the 51 tooth rear sprocket I had the gears are way too short but in saying that the grin I got as the bike was PULLING me with my post christmas 97 kg pork out around a big sand berm in 5th was awesome !!

I tried the stock 50 rear today at my local mx track and it was better but I think it will need a 49 or even a 48 to lengthen the gears out :busted:

Im a not so fast vet rider but I was able to (hang) with some very fast dudes at my local today and as Ive been off the bike for close to 2 months waiting for the kit then for assembly and the pressures of work, wife and kids, my bike fitness is crap.

this truly is the best bang for your dollar mod you can do for your bike esp when you compare it to the cost of a full exaust system :bonk:

Nice. You said it perfectly by describing the gearing. This is the only way to be able to prove how much torque you have gained. Was the bottom end greatly improved? The answer lies in the fact that even with stock gearing (that the 350 cc engine could not pull) was too short for 400cc. By considering a 49 or even a 48 tells us that the extra 50 cc is an incredible gain. Imagine being able to pull gearing that is taller by 3 teeth?! That is just what will keep you with 450s but still have flickability that the big bike doesn't have.

Imagine a 350 that you don't have to tap dance on anymore. Our mate from Ausy Land has just convinced me:ride:

I just think the powerband is more complete now as i feel it still has that mild bottom that we all love but the power just comes on sooner and stronger and pulls harder esp low to mid range as you can still rev it out

Im no light weight and if you weigh say between 75 to 85 kg you will love it even more than me :bonk: im taking the kids for a weeks holiday now and the weather is gettin too hot to ride as we are finally getting a summer 39 c so i wont be riding for while but will report back with another report when I can also Ht racing dont really respond to emails but calling them is your best bet as they are very helpfull !! Also my mechanic said the cylinder work was A1 !!

I think I am going to send mine out. Dumb question but did you have to remove the whole engine to get the cylinder off or can you get it off with the engine in the frame?

You can get the cylinder off with the engine in the frame. I actually just put my motor back in my frame today and was thinking that its not as bad as a twin spar frame at all with clearance:ride:

Did you get the 400 kit? Is it easy to get the cylinder on/off with it in the frame?

Basically the engine stays in the frame but there is a lot of dissasembly of the top end and you need to know what you are doing and I was lucky that I had a mate that is a Ktm mechanic. Your ECU needs to be sent with the cylinder as it needs to be reprogrammed

what did you have to buy for reassembling that did not come with the kit? gaskets? rings? etc?

Nothing to buy in terms of the kit as ht supply cylinder, piston, rings etc and gaskets, I bought a new spark plug thats it.

do you send them your old cylinder as a core, or is it just all new stuff?

Mike