Sign in to follow this  

What is the benifit of silicone hoses?

They are mostly BLING! No real advantage, spend your money on gas and tires.

I would check that all your hose connections are secure and tight. I had one come loose on my 2011 300XC.

I will be putting them on my 09 300 , but after 3 yrs i thought it was time for new hoses. Stock ones worked great for all this time, would not change them if they are still in good shape.

they hold up to the heat better, wich really doesnt matter unless you fry your bike wich if that is the case the last thing you think about are your rad hoses, they also are supposed to cool better because you have less friction and better flow:smirk:, damn if they dont look good.:bonk:

4strokes-rule, isn't your 300 a 2-stroke?

Is there ever any harm in removing thermostat to increase flow, and never have to worry about one sticking shut? not like a car when you want early heat.

They are supposed to flow better. Would they eliminate the thermostat on a 2012 300xcw?

I would think it makes no difference. As I understand it the main reason for the thermostat is for the engine to reach operating temp sooner and so that in a car or truck you may have heat in the cabin sooner.

They are supposed to flow better. Would they eliminate the thermostat on a 2012 300xcw?

I put a set on my 06 300, it was for a 250sx and eliminated the thermostat. The main reason I bought them is I was doing a full winter rebuild and they were only $30 off ebay.

There is a reason they put t stats on offroad bike, and its not to warm them up faster.

Moto bikes rarely go slow and typically keep air flowing across the rads. Offroad bikes aren't always so fortunate. In a situation with decreased air flow and heat building circumstance, the t stat wi still restrict flow, keeping the coolant in the rads longer to optimize cooling.

I can tell my converted sx runs hotter then the exc i had. , especially in those high rev, slow moving times. I am actually thinking about adding the t stat to my bike.

I really see no benefit to eliminating the t stat.

its not a wise decision to remove the tstat from a vehicle of any year. wont run at correct temp and on the newer vehicles all your check engine lights will go crazy. probly play alot of tricks on the whole computer system as well. its not only for the heater to work faster.

it should have a similar affect on a bike although ive never tried it. certainly wont rise in temp at the same rate. not sure what other affects it may have. ktm has been using tstats on the 2strokes since way back in the early 90s that i know of. there was a magazine article about their bikes from the 80s and the cooling system worked so good a piece of card board over one radiator was required in colder climates. probly why they started using tstats a short time later.

i see theres several people who dont understand what the purpose for the tstat is, whether its on a bike or car

its not a wise decision to remove the tstat from a vehicle of any year. wont run at correct temp and on the newer vehicles all your check engine lights will go crazy. probly play alot of tricks on the whole computer system as well. its not only for the heater to work faster.

it should have a similar affect on a bike although ive never tried it. certainly wont rise in temp at the same rate. not sure what other affects it may have. ktm has been using tstats on the 2strokes since way back in the early 90s that i know of. there was a magazine article about their bikes from the 80s and the cooling system worked so good a piece of card board over one radiator was required in colder climates. probly why they started using tstats a short time later.

i see theres several people who dont understand what the purpose for the tstat is, whether its on a bike or car

A bike (or car) can actually run HOTTER without a T stat. I believe that may be what you are alluding to??

good info on the thermostat. I wasn't aware of the slow the coolant down to get it to cool more while in the radiator. wouldn't that also cause hotter fluid to stay in the motor longer as well? counterproductive?

A bike (or car) can actually run HOTTER without a T stat. I believe that may be what you are alluding to??

it depends on the situation. without a tstat in cold weather its likely the engine will never heat up because its just a free flow through the whole sytem. and yes in hot weather it may never cool correct because again it will be a free flow and the water wont be restricted in the radiator long enough for the cooling process of the fins. what many people dont realise or understand is with the tstat open it restricts the flow so the water can remain in the radiator long enough for a cooling process to happen. some jap bikes use the head gasket to restrict the flow. more or less the same concept as a tstat. and probly alot cheaper to manufacture i would assume

it depends on the situation. without a tstat in cold weather its likely the engine will never heat up because its just a free flow through the whole sytem. and yes in hot weather it may never cool correct because again it will be a free flow and the water wont be restricted in the radiator long enough for the cooling process of the fins. what many people dont realise or understand is with the tstat open it restricts the flow so the water can remain in the radiator long enough for a cooling process to happen. some jap bikes use the head gasket to restrict the flow. more or less the same concept as a tstat. and probly alot cheaper to manufacture i would assume

I do recall the top end on my old Honda 250 motors had a head gasket where all of the openings weren't cut out, now I know why. 20 years later!

There is a reason they put t stats on offroad bike, and its not to warm them up faster.

Moto bikes rarely go slow and typically keep air flowing across the rads. Offroad bikes aren't always so fortunate. In a situation with decreased air flow and heat building circumstance, the t stat wi still restrict flow, keeping the coolant in the rads longer to optimize cooling.

Im not following you on this, a thermstat operates by the tempature of the coolant, once it gets hot it stays open, going very slow threw technical stuff the coolant is not going to coold down to cause the thrmstat to close back up, so I dont follow your logic what am I missing here. lots of off road bikes comes without thrmstats in them all xc models do.

If im riding slow nasty stuff and my thermstat closed up as you say Garret that would stop flow and the bike would boil over for certain imo.

Back to the OP's question, I think the silicone hoses rose in popularity due to the hot running 4 strokes. IDK if one would stand up to continually touching a 4T headed pipe, maybe it would survive brief contact.