Sign in to follow this  

JASO-FD and ISO-L-EGD should we buy any oil with these ratings and ignore brand...?

JASO-FD or ISO-L-EGD better than older JASO/ISO ratings when buying 2 stroke motorcycle oil?

If we buy what ever brand of oil that has the latest ISO rating we will have nothing to worry about?

As long as we mix it close to manufactures ratio when buying 2 stroke oil for our motorcycle is that all that really matters? *Ignore brands and just buy JASO-FD/ISO-EGD? Ignore base stocks?

For example KTM motorcycles recommends Motorex full synthetic for my 2011 300XC at 60:1 and it is JASO-FC, it is also probably the most expensive 2 stroke oil on the market.

What else should we know?

Thank you.

I've been running Bel-Ray H1R @32:1 in the YZ465 (30+ years and only second over) and Amsoil in the RZ350. Both have served me well. If you want a bad oil you'll have to search these days. Some are better than others but there are few truly bad oils. As long as the meet the standards called for all is good.

I looked into this question some - and found little information. Its a product where it is very hard to know what you're getting, and therefore easy to convince people to spend more money for no reason. I switched to a low cost JASO-FD rated premix and have been happy so far.

Brand is pedigree. It's easy to meet the minimum standards. Brand also means accountability should there be a problem.

many oils do not actually submit for testing certification, but imply they "meet or exceed it". (your call on that) many good oils don't bother or know they wouldn't pass one part of the test.

here's a current list of JASO oils that have been test certified, difference between FC and FD is additional detergency, lubricity is the same.

http://www.jalos.or.jp/onfile/pdf/2T_EV_LIST.pdf