96 Powervalve - Need Help !

Wierd, need some input.

Located powervalve diagrams for my 96 RM250 and there are 4 different powervalves associated with this bike? ***

Model T, V, W, XY....what gives? I believe the closest diagram would be the XY as I have a main PV in the center of the exhaust and 2 on the sides that open and close with the main.

Model T

96Tpv.gif

Model V

96Vpv.gif

Model W

96wpv.gif

Model XY (What I believe I have)

96xypv.gif

Would all of these different powervalves systems have individually different cylinder sleeves/porting?

On the heads.........I think suzuki went back and forth with flat and dome pistons.....so the heads were different.

I think your letters designation are 96-97-98-99-00 model years.....x being 99 , and y being '00. Not absolutely sure , on this , but no body else has any thing to say.

Does your bike have USD forks ??? Or forks like a rm/z ???

out

I went through hell with my 96 125. The Suzuki diagrams plain suck. I didn't study the powervalve completely, but it looks like the small plate just behind the main valve is different between all 3 models. If yours looks like another year, someone may have swapped cylinders or complete engines.

The letters designate the year, so T=96.

Regular cylinder head nuts, open type are for heads that seal with gaskets. Achorn type nuts are usually used on heads using o-rings to seal. You WILL leak antifreeze through the threads using open nuts on o-ring heads, I tried that.

Look at the small side transfer valves, and the actuating rod. These are what mainly changed. 96 and 98 are the closest with 97 differing in the main powervalve. Sorry but the 125 has nothing to do with the 250 as 125 was still old style motor in 96. Look up OEM numbers from year to year on TT parts store and you will see what is different.

thanks. yep, my bike has a model X/Y powervalve (3 of them)....the other models have 2....not sure if this is an improved version, however the main powervalve was getting struck by piston and/or rings and shows wear. Will have the shop file down that main power valve....DOES IT MATTER IF THE VALVE DOESN'T STICK OUT LIKE IT DID MAKING CONTACT WITH PISTON? LIKE GRIND IN A FEW MM'S?

They all have 1 main powervalve, and two side transfer valves. The side trans. valves are where they differ from year to year. Look at your style closely and see which it looks like. It is possible that you could have different cylinder. What is your bore size, and yes you would grind the power valve back if your bore is larger, and as jeekinz says make sure the hole in the main power valve isnt egged. The rod that goes through this hole is what actuates the side valves. I have a Clymer manual that does a great job on the powervalve assembly.:bonk:

• 3 years later...

I am having a similar problem to e36graduate. I have a cylinder for a 1996 Suzuki RM125 and it has the regular tear drop plungers except they are smaller than the standard ones. I was wondering if these are the model T or model Y. I cannot tell on parts website breakdowns because they all look the same. I would appreciate the help. Thanks.