Sign in to follow this  

Talk Me Off This Legde...Or Wish Me Farewell!

I just found a mint condition 2001 XR250 that's street legal, but could easily be converted back to a dirt machine. My biggest gripe with the 230 is its poor suspension. I could probably trade the 230 straight up, given the fact that it's a 2008 in great shape.

My question is: would the XR250 be worth the upgrade from the 230? Where's SacTown Old Dude when I need him?:bonk:

The stock XR250R suspension is better and more adjustable than the stock CRF230F suspension.

Things to consider:

The XR weighs more.

The XR has a larger fuel tank.

The CRF has an electric start.

I wouldn't switch, but others have and been happy. :bonk:

Converting a street-legal XR250R to dirt should involve nothing more than pulling off the paved highway and onto a dirt road or trail. There's nothing to do but ride :smirk:

I almost traded my 09 CRF230F for a 2000 PLATED ( out here in cali PLATED is a big deal and not easy to do) XR400, went to see it, looked great, was well taken care off and was indeed fully street legal, watched the guy kicking it 10 times to get it started was all it took for me to realize i do not want a non electric start bike.

I also wouldnt do it, just sell your 230 and get something else, i did very well selling my 09 CRF230F and bought another street legal bike, the suspension is SO MUCH better on my new bike, on my 230 i actually had to stop after about an hour of trail riding, cause the suspension litterally made me sick to my stomach at time, you feel every single bump.

and theres also the fact you have a new bike and thinking about a 11 year old bike.

I say NAY.

I just found a mint condition 2001 XR250 that's street legal, but could easily be converted back to a dirt machine. My biggest gripe with the 230 is its poor suspension. I could probably trade the 230 straight up, given the fact that it's a 2008 in great shape.

My question is: would the XR250 be worth the upgrade from the 230? Where's SacTown Old Dude when I need him?:bonk:

I wouldn't trade but I would try to buy the xr2.5 as a second bike. Is there a price or is it a trade only thing?

I almost traded my 09 CRF230F for a 2000 PLATED ( out here in cali PLATED is a big deal and not easy to do) XR400, went to see it, looked great, was well taken care off and was indeed fully street legal, watched the guy kicking it 10 times to get it started was all it took for me to realize i do not want a non electric start bike.

I also wouldnt do it, just sell your 230 and get something else, i did very well selling my 09 CRF230F and bought another street legal bike, the suspension is SO MUCH better on my new bike, on my 230 i actually had to stop after about an hour of trail riding, cause the suspension litterally made me sick to my stomach at time, you feel every single bump.

and theres also the fact you have a new bike and thinking about a 11 year old bike.

I say NAY.

So you sold you 230F as well? Didn't you just buy it? Jeez, I've been away from the gossip here for too long.:bonk: What did you end up buying?

I wouldn't trade but I would try to buy the xr2.5 as a second bike. Is there a price or is it a trade only thing?

Price is $1900, but I only have enough for a clean trade or to sell the 230F and buy something else. Looking like I'm leaning toward selling the 230F and holding on to the cash until I find the perfect bike, which does not exist.:smirk:

I say NAY.

My bike fires in one or two kicks hot or cold :bonk:

And when did you sell your 230:foul:?

I'de say if you could trade and the xr is mint, like very low miles.... do it! My buddy has one and he is way fast on it. There is no where he can't go on it. I've ridden it once or twice (didn't ride it well because i've never ridden a four stroke dirt bike before then). but from what i could tell the suspension was great (i'm 6'2 200#'s). It was definatily heavier than i was used to, i've got a cr250. So when we i was riding it we were heading through these high banking s-turns (one right after the other) and you had to go high on them because the bottoms were flooded and frozen, I wasn't used to the weight distribution and high sided it because its pretty top heavy. Other than having to get used to it, which is what you have to do with every bike, it is a great bike! I think it's the version meant more for the street, but he stripped it down to the essentials and has no problem with it! Starts on second kick every time, the only thing i've heard him complain about it is that the jetting is slightly off and bogs occasionally at high speed, but thats a quick fix!

I chose to sell my 230 for that reason, suspension, and handling. I agree that the xr might be very heavy, and be tiring. I went with a 2 stroke mx bike and adjusted a few things to make it a usable trail bike.

I don't know where you are located, but in Michigan it is easy to street legal a kdx 200, which are awesome trail bikes. Either way I think that you will be taking a step up in handling and suspension if you go with the xr or nearly anything else.

I would trade. I was lucky and sold my 230 quickly, but here the market is geared towards mx bikes, anything else can be a tough sell. Ive seen them on cl for 6 months or more. Good luck with your decision.

In the dirt...

My modified 230 > my modified XR250R.

by far...

Don't get it. Just build out your 230. Be smart with it though. I shop around as much as possible for everything. Got my XR250R forks with everything I needed to bolt them right on to my 230 for $150 off this forum. Sold my stock forks for $200 to someone with a 230L.

If you plan it out, you'll end up with an outstanding bike and you'll have spent very little.

In the dirt...

My modified 230 > my modified XR250R.

by far...

Don't get it. Just build out your 230. Be smart with it though. I shop around as much as possible for everything. Got my XR250R forks with everything I needed to bolt them right on to my 230 for $150 off this forum. Sold my stock forks for $200 to someone with a 230L.

If you plan it out, you'll end up with an outstanding bike and you'll have spent very little.

Hmm, what's involved in an XR250 fork conversion?

Hmm, what's involved in an XR250 fork conversion?

-Buy 1996-2004 XR250R forks and triple clamps. The point of getting 96 or later is because they are cartridge forks. Earlier forks will work but they aren't cartridge forks, so they aren't anything amazing.

-Get an extra set of stem bearings if you don't have a press.

-Buy 4 1" ID washers and a handful of 1-1/8" machine bushings. ( I ended up using three as explained here, but people have used different configurations)

-Press off or chisel off (destroy) the lower XR250R stem bearing. Using heat and cold will make it very easy.

-Put two 1" washers then one bushing on the stem with a bearing seal on top of it.

-Drive on a new lower bearing. Drive it on tight enough so that the washers and bushing have no chance of moving.

-Install the lower clamp to the bike.

-Install the upper bearing and seal.

-Put two bushings on top of the seal and put two washers on top of the bushings.

-Put the spanner nut on, and install the upper clamp.

-Install the forks, 230 brake and 230 wheel like it was meant to be.

Ta-da!

I had to zip-tie my key switch to the upper clamp and zip-tie the front number plate on which is kind of ghetto but it works. If you have a headlight it wont have to be ghetto.

Tuning variables for the XR250R cartridge fork are:

-Compression clicker

-Compression stack

-Oil type

-Oil amount

-Spring rate

-Spring pre-load.

-Possible rebound stack? Idk. I've just been using different oils to get different rebound speeds. Thicker oil to slow down rebound will also slow down compression, but it's no biggie on these forks since you have a compression stack and a compression clicker.

These forks are much more serious forks than the 230 forks, although you can get the 230 forks to work good with RaceTech cartridge emulators.

-Buy 1996-2004 XR250R forks and triple clamps. The point of getting 96 or later is because they are cartridge forks. Earlier forks will work but they aren't cartridge forks, so they aren't anything amazing.

-Get an extra set of stem bearings if you don't have a press.

-Buy 4 1" ID washers and a handful of 1-1/8" machine bushings. ( I ended up using three as explained here, but people have used different configurations)

-Press off or chisel off (destroy) the lower XR250R stem bearing. Using heat and cold will make it very easy.

-Put two 1" washers then one bushing on the stem with a bearing seal on top of it.

-Drive on a new lower bearing. Drive it on tight enough so that the washers and bushing have no chance of moving.

-Install the lower clamp to the bike.

-Install the upper bearing and seal.

-Put two bushings on top of the seal and put two washers on top of the bushings.

-Put the spanner nut on, and install the upper clamp.

-Install the forks, 230 brake and 230 wheel like it was meant to be.

Ta-da!

I had to zip-tie my key switch to the upper clamp and zip-tie the front number plate on which is kind of ghetto but it works. If you have a headlight it wont have to be ghetto.

Tuning variables for the XR250R cartridge fork are:

-Compression clicker

-Compression stack

-Oil type

-Oil amount

-Spring rate

-Spring pre-load.

-Possible rebound stack? Idk. I've just been using different oils to get different rebound speeds. Thicker oil to slow down rebound will also slow down compression, but it's no biggie on these forks since you have a compression stack and a compression clicker.

These forks are much more serious forks than the 230 forks, although you can get the 230 forks to work good with RaceTech cartridge emulators.

That doesn't seem that difficult at all! Does it raise the bike height? I don't have a problem if it does. What did you do for the shock?

One last thing:

Use a crf150f linkage rocker to raise the rear end to match the added height. Easy easy easy. It will be as tall as any full sized bike after this.

XR250R forks cost me $-50. Yes, I made $50.

150f linkage cost me $50. Darn. Dead even.

IMO the most cost effective rear shock upgrade (which you should do before forks anyway) is the Hlebo Bros re-valve. $200, and it works beautifully.

One last thing:

Use a crf150f linkage rocker to raise the rear end to match the added height. Easy easy easy. It will be as tall as any full sized bike after this.

XR250R forks cost me $-50. Yes, I made $50.

150f linkage cost me $50. Darn. Dead even.

IMO the most cost effective rear shock upgrade (which you should do before forks anyway) is the Hlebo Bros re-valve. $200, and it works beautifully.

Awesome. Pictures of your setup?

Awesome. Pictures of your setup?

Videos of my setup in this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031137

Picture of coeshow's bike with the same setup here:

http://www.coeshow.com/_mgxroot/page_10761.html

Pictures of Dwight Rudder's bike with same setup (except different route for the rear shock) in this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715173&page=9&highlight=cxr250f

If you're using a kickstand (which I'm not allowed to for racing), you might have to either lengthen your kickstand, carry a little wood block around lol, or get an XR400 kickstand (which is what coeshow did).

Videos of my setup in this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=1031137

Picture of coeshow's bike with the same setup here:

http://www.coeshow.com/_mgxroot/page_10761.html

Pictures of Dwight Rudder's bike with same setup (except different route for the rear shock) in this thread:

http://www.thumpertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=715173&page=9&highlight=cxr250f

If you're using a kickstand (which I'm not allowed to for racing), you might have to either lengthen your kickstand, carry a little wood block around lol, or get an XR400 kickstand (which is what coeshow did).

Okay, Mr. Chroust, I believe you've talked me off the ledge.:bonk:

Now I've got to find these damn parts. Where do I begin? I tried eBay, but XR250 forks are hard to come by. Do I also have to get a 250 triple? Looks like a fun winter project.

Okay, Mr. Chroust, I believe you've talked me off the ledge.:bonk:

Now I've got to find these damn parts. Where do I begin? I tried eBay, but XR250 forks are hard to come by. Do I also have to get a 250 triple? Looks like a fun winter project.

Awesome haha.

Yes you need the triple clamp. Not sure if pre-96 xr250r clamps would work but I think they would since people with pre-96 xr250r's just throw on 96 and later forks for an upgrade. I think they slide right in. Idk. You might want to ask in the XR250R forum about that.

Look on the classifieds here, on other forums, on craigslist, and keep searching ebay every morning and night.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/B194-3-Used-Dirtbike-Parts-2001-Honda-XR250R-Forks-/280794668764?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item4160aa9edc

^ comes with forks and triples! They look tired, but it's soooo easy to change or clean the seals and bushings on the xr250r forks. My XR250R forks looked like hell when I bought them. I mean, I almost threw up. A couple hours of cleaning and they looked sooo sexy!

http://www.ebay.com/itm/HONDA-XR250R-FORKS-1999-/260918683422?pt=Motorcycles_Parts_Accessories&vxp=mtr&hash=item3cbff7271e

^ I wouldn't trust these without more pictures. It looks like one is shorter than the other, which means it might be binding. You never know 'til you get more pictures out of the guy.

use this word list for searching on ebay and any other site. Using this word list, you will find EVERY listing that is on there. Yup, search them one at a time. Time consuming, but you'll see ALL the deals, not just a few. Craigslist and other places without powerful search engines are sensitive to slight changes like you see in this word list. Spaces, no spaces, etc. will turn up different results when you have a crappy search engine like craigslist.

Xr250r forks

Xr 250r forks

Xr250 r forks

Xr 250 r forks

Xr250 forks

Xr 250 forks

Xr250r fork

Xr 250r fork

Xr250 r fork

Xr 250 r fork

Xr250 fork

Xr 250 fork

Xr250r front end

Xr 250r front end

Xr250 r front end

Xr 250 r front end

Xr250 front end

Xr 250 front end

Xr250r front suspension

Xr 250r front suspension

Xr250 r front suspension

Xr 250 r front suspension

Xr250 front suspension

Xr 250 front suspension

Xr250r triple

Xr 250r triple

Xr250 r triple

Xr 250 r triple

Xr250 triple

Xr 250 triple

Xr250r shocks

Xr 250r shocks

Xr250 r shocks

Xr 250 r shocks

Xr250 shocks

Xr 250 shocks

Xr250r yokes

Xr 250r yokes

Xr250 r yokes

Xr 250 r yokes

Xr250 yokes

Xr 250 yokes

Tip for buying on ebay:

If the buy-it-now price is reasonable and you're sure it's what you want, then buy-it-now instead of trying to bid. Why? Because once the bidding begins, people start hopping on and the buy-it-now goes away. It will usually run up above what the buy-it-now price was.

No offense to Mr. Gabecroust, its not that simple. I tried hard to keep my 230, but even a simple xr fork swap wasn't simple. First I have been burned on ebay. I could not get any verification of fork condition, and compared to most other forks out there the xr forks are not that much better than the crf forks. By the time I bought forks, had those serviced had Hlebo redo my shock, soup up the motor so I could hope to keep up with the xr guys I was looking at a lot of hours, at least 3 or 400 bucks, and would still have the same poor chassis that left me wanting more than the bike could give.

I loved my crf, but it was going to cost too much to try to make it what it was not intended to be. If you ever want to jump, corner fast, and have real straight line stability at speed do yourself a favor, keep the crf as a playbike, and spend that money on a bike that already has what you are looking for.

Ill say again, I loved my 230, however every time I rode with my group of riding buddies, no one wanted to ride it more than a few hundred feet on a rough trail, after riding their bikes I understood why. Go ride a few other bikes before you drop the money on the 230.

I am amazed at what these guys can do to the 230, there are some very impressive bikes, I just feel very convicted after going through the same thing as you are. So no xdisrespect to the 230, or any of its owners.

Sorry, I've been off riding.... I wish! I concur with gabe. Good advice. BTW I called my older bro last week and asked if he would sell my 230 back to me. Loved that bike.

ST O.D.