Sign in to follow this  

Anyone WTT '01 for '02+ CR250

DSC00001.jpg

I'm a huge fan of all of the Honda's, but especially my '01 CR250. Although, this is the second time I have owned this same make/model. I thought I would just throw an offer out there. I'm interested in swapping my '01 for a newer model. I love the '01, as many people do, but I have never spent much time on the gen 3 frame/chassis and want to. So, if anyone happens to have any interest in giving the '01 a shot, then shoot me a pm.

I'm looking to trade straight up, which I know sounds weird. What I can bargain a bit on is the condition of the bike. My bike is in EXCELLENT shape inside and out, so I would be willing to take something slightly less presentable, in lieu of the age diff.

Please don't roast me on here for my proposition. I've bought, sold, and traded many bikes, so I know what things are worth, and the reality of my offer. I also am aware of all of the differences in the two bikes, so don't make this an '01 vs. '02 battle.

.... you will regret this

i have an 01 my buddy an 07 , we switch bikes on rides all the time and i can't stand his bike

Yeah, maybe, but my passion for Honda's just makes me want to try all of them. I've had this one before....and can have another one if I want.

Good luck trying to find someone who has a 3rd gen cr to trade. I've owned an 01 & would never go backwards. Recently a friend sold his 01 & purchase an 02 after riding mine.

I don't think you'll have a problem finding a trade. So many I've run into rather have the 01' . For me I'd just look for an 02 and up chassis and put your 01 motor in it . Use the mxbonz hybrid kit and get an eric gorr 265 kit and you'll have the super hybrid!!!:bonk:

Good luck to you on your honda quest . I like the new chassis handling a little better but rather have the 01' other than that. You'll make someone happy!

Edited by hawaiidirtrider

That was my first thought, to put the '01 engine into a Gen 3 chassis, but if I brought home another bike, my wife would......I don't even want to think about it. Lol.

I could care less about the '02+ engine. I just want to run that chasis. The '01 has such a simple and effective engine.

The '02+ engines are pretty easily fixed, but Honda certainly didn't hammer out all the issues on the 3rd gen engines before they introduced them. It would have been a much more successful bike had they just continued on with the '01 mill in the new frame. Had developement on the CR continued, I'm sure it would have been much improved a couple years in.

I'm sure you'll find someone with a 3rd gen willing to try an '01, especially one as clean as yours. Another option you might consider, sell your rolling chassis and buy a 3rd gen roller from these folks. No idea on the cost, but they certainly offer some cool packages.

http://elsinorefactory.com/index.php?option=com_content&view=article&id=2&Itemid=41

That was my first thought, to put the '01 engine into a Gen 3 chassis, but if I brought home another bike, my wife would......I don't even want to think about it. Lol.

I could care less about the '02+ engine. I just want to run that chasis. The '01 has such a simple and effective engine.

That's a cherry 01 you have there. I'd almost feel bad stealing that thing from you if I had an 02+ to trade with you... Almost. Here's a nice kit for you to get your juices flowing. Really I think you'll be happy but upset with the better handling bike with a not as good motor. I can tell you would make it work by the quality of your bike.

http://www.ebay.com/itm/250959150393?ssPageName=STRK:MEWAX:IT&_trksid=p3984.m1423.l2649

I've been toying with doing this myself but my 01' is set up so well I don't think it's worth the effort....yet. If I run into a deal that may change.:bonk: I look at how beautiful your bike looks and kind of cringe at the thought of trading it for an 02+. There are so many people I run into that are sorry they have gotten rid of their 01. They have a wide variety of newer bikes that I would think they would be happier with...... Newer ktm 300's, a maxed out 2006 yz 250 with all the goodies among others... After you finish doing this you can get an eric gorr 265cc top end ported for your type of riding.. Then you'll have among the smokingest cr's out there!!!!

Funny one thing I notice about mx bikes is how much nicer the bikes look compared to trail bikes. I try to make my cr look good but it just gets hammered physically in the trail. That's mine in the avatar although it's been upgraded and it's clothes changed here and there. It's black and yellow now. Your bike sure is beautiful. I'm kind of jealous. It doesn't have gouges and graphics all blasted.

Maybe not what your looking for, however, I have a 2002 CRF450R that I would do a straight up trade. I just don't like four strokes, I'm an old guy raised on 2 strokes. Let me know, It's in like new condition..

Paul

352-225-1121 Florida

Paul, my last bike was a thumper mx, and was probably the last thumper mx I'll own. I think they're sweet, I just prefer my CR250's! Also, being back on one is amazing, like starting to ride all over again. I'm serious. So much fun. I hope you're able to get back on a smoker soon.

hawaiidirtrider, thanks for the compliments, but don't give me too much credit. Due to a recent addition to the family, my seat time has fallen off the deep end. Also, with my gremlin eating up a majority of my hobby funds, I have to take better care of my current possessions so they last longer. So, ride less + more maintenance= the garage queen you see in the photo. Lol. Damn kids.

She isn't all show though.....

Paul, my last bike was a thumper mx, and was probably the last thumper mx I'll own. I think they're sweet, I just prefer my CR250's! Also, being back on one is amazing, like starting to ride all over again. I'm serious. So much fun. I hope you're able to get back on a smoker soon.

hawaiidirtrider, thanks for the compliments, but don't give me too much credit. Due to a recent addition to the family, my seat time has fallen off the deep end. Also, with my gremlin eating up a majority of my hobby funds, I have to take better care of my current possessions so they last longer. So, ride less + more maintenance= the garage queen you see in the photo. Lol. Damn kids.

She isn't all show though.....

I'm like that too although mine is a little older now and I check in with my inlaws that live next door and are much older. The first couple of years I barely rode. Even as it is I live close to where I ride but have to keep in touch with my other riding buddy who has kids too. It's not safe to ride alone. It's a constant checkin to find when we can escape for a few hours. Sometimes even then I get torn. My girl batts her eyes and asks me to stay home ...so I stay home just a little before I leave. You gotta get away sometime though. It's good for your mental health to feed the soul and get your braaap on. My wife knows when we start arguing a little too much. She just tells me you better go ride.:bonk:... what a good wife.:smirk:

Here I'm going on a rare solo ride but I know my cousin and friends are riding in this valley. Here's my 01' although it's set up for trail more. I don't think you'll put a machete on your mx bike lol.

http://www.youtube.com/user/woodsrider117#p/u/24/lEtCaQQHZcA

Good luck with the trade. IMO, you should build the 3rd gen frame with the old motor. This was my 02 chassis with a 98 motor. I loved that bike, and it wasn't too difficult to stuff it in there. I still miss that bike. As said before, that is a CLEAN 01!

2003CR2503.jpg

The swap to the Gen 3 frame would be ideal. I've been keeping my eye out for a parts bike/rolling chassis/blown up engine Gen 3, but haven't come across anything yet. I'm always looking though.

Good luck with the trade. IMO, you should build the 3rd gen frame with the old motor. This was my 02 chassis with a 98 motor. I loved that bike, and it wasn't too difficult to stuff it in there. I still miss that bike. As said before, that is a CLEAN 01!

2003CR2503.jpg

Nice!!! and thanks for putting up the pic!:smirk::bonk:

KEEP THE 01! That is a nice bike! Save some pennies and then buy the 3rd gen CR but do not get rid of that 01! I love mine and no matter how many times i start telling myself I would really like a newer bike I remember just how much I would miss mine if I sold/traded it. Yours looks to have been very well taken care of and you have a lot of time/money invested so why start over? I do like the 3rd gen frame swap idea though :bonk::smirk:

I know guys, I do LOVE my bike. The chassis and suspension is what I'm interested in of the Gen3. I've been on the look out for a rolling chassis or blown motor Gen3 for the swap. I've only had this bike since late summer last year (this is my 2nd '01) and I'm at the place now where I'm all caught up on maintenance & ready to dump some money into susp. and chassis mods. Obviously that wouldn't be cost effective if I really want to be on the Gen3 chassis.