Sign in to follow this  

clutch/tranny problem 125

i went riding last saterday and somethings not right. i was riding some tight trails and when i was stopped to go over logs/branches i was feathering the clutch and it seemed like it wouldnt fully engage. it would stall unless i gave it about 1/2-3/4 throttle and when i finally started going it felt like it had half clutch and i feathered it some more and i could feel it kick back in it felt like a fiber plate got caught up on a groove and from me feathering it it got loose and fully engaged. while this happened i thought it might be my clutch basket, i have new steels/fibers/ springs and a hinson hub but my basket im sure is still from 2002. when i rebuilt the bike i filed down the grooves till they were almost flat and in the picture you can see where its still indented. do i need a new basket?

IMG_6895.jpg

also, what basket do you recommend? i heard i think wiseco or hinson that has the unbreakable fingers and you can return if they get worn but cant remember who made it

also, what basket do you recommend? i heard i think wiseco or hinson that has the unbreakable fingers and you can return if they get worn but cant remember who made it

some would say go buy a new now, but our 93 cr125 basket was the same way, filed the down and its still going good.

if you got new plates n stuff, id think the prob may be in the lifter rod/actuator arm.

also what kind of tranny oil you running?

I am running hp80w85 for a couple months now and had no problems so I don't think it's the oil

I've filed down my basket twice and next time it will need replacing, but neither time did it grab up like that, it was just easy since I was already in there anyway. May as well give it a go, but also check your clutch cable, try making adjustments on the perch, and like Arg said, check that actuator rod and the linkage that moves it on the stator side. You can take out the linkage with an allen key and drop some grease in there to see if that helps, I'd also check the little cap that sits on the end of the rod. I have a YZ250 so it may be different for me- but my buddy's bike has a ball bearing between the cap and rod that wore flat over time and got canted which caused a similar condition while it was rattling around between them.

Id lean more towards your cable strethcing... when was the last time it was replaced? Your basket doesnt look that bad to me. I just tore mine down for a rebuild and it was 99.9% worse than yours and still pulled silky smooth.

IMG_0572.jpg

Basket was just as bad...

IMG_0571.jpg

The cable is only a couple months old and hasn't had that much time on it

doesnt mean its not stretched... if you fell wrong or routed it wrong it will stretch relaly quick. Not saing this is for sure your issue but its possible