Sign in to follow this  

Restrictor Plate Needed For PW80

Hi everyone,

I bought my son a PW80 for Christmas and it does not have the restrictor plate in it. I was told it looks like a washer with a 1/2" hole that goes between the head pipe and the engine. Is this something I can make? Or do I need to order one for the bike? I have to see what year the bike is but I think around a 2004 model.

For a first timer that is nervous of the bike, is there any other way I can slow it down or limit the throttle any? How about starting in second gear? Or will that kill the clutch? I looked into one of those remote kill switches but they start at $80. I let him get on in in the front yard to try (big mistake!) and he throttled it and ran into a bicycle and went over the handle bars!

Thanks,

Warren

I just read on pages that these has a rev limiter. Where is that at? Is it something adjustable on the throttle itself? I don't have a user's manual and can't find one online yet.

Warren

rev limiter is not adjustable. Get on the bike and hold it wide open. you'll hear it. It makes it stutter likes it's running very rich.

2nd gear is a lot smoother on take off for a little guy with a heavy throttle hand.

the exhaust restrictor can easily be duplicated with an appropriately sized fender washer. It's pretty darn effective.

Thanks for the reply. When I rode it the other day I noticed it start to sputter when I got at the higher rpm. I bought a Honda XR70R for my other son also and noticed his does not do this.

What exactly do you mean by a fender washer? Is it something I can get at Home Depot? I guess I just need to measure the diameter that will fit and get one with a small hole?

Warren