Sign in to follow this  

Timing plug removal

What tool do you guys use to remove the two plugs to gain access to the timing marks on the left side? I've tried multiple tools (large screwdrivers, big washers in vice grips etc.) but the plugs won't budge even though the torque specs show they should only be at 22 in-lbs.

+1 ^^^

I saw a pic of someone using a washer and vice grips. Didn't work for me though. The washer bent all up. Went to Harbor Freight to pick up a B.A. screwdriver.

The top plug exposes the timing mark. Are you able to get out out ? If so use the kick start to advance the flywheel and get the marks aligned. You might try to place something on the head of the cap and smack it with a hammer to do what I call upsetting the threads. I have done this in a lots of applications with decent success. The trick is to not hit it too hard and crack or break the housing the plug is screwed into. Good luck.

i use a quarter

I tried a quarter last night and had the same result as the washer....bent badly.

I guess I'll have to take a trip to Harbor Freight to look for a large screwdriver.

The top plug exposes the timing mark.Are you able to get out out ?
Nope not able to get either plug out. I'll try shocking the threads. If I can't get them out I might have to remove the cover and try to get them out another way. They have some scars on them like they've been removed before, but who knows what the PO did. For all I know he may have used loctite on them or something :bonk:.

A couple other ideas ... try a grade 5 or grade 8 washer, it wont bend like a standard washer. Also, maybe try it with the engine warm/hot. The cover might expand enough to make a difference. Maybe also try using some PB Blaster or WD40 to dissolve any corrosion between the threads. Good luck...