Sign in to follow this  

Fellow DRZ'ers, Want honest opinions/suggestions

Hey guys,

I basically wanna get your guys opinions/suggestions... I know youve read numerous threads like this and im sure im gonna get very similar answers as other poeple asked, but maybe this is a little different.

Im doing some thinking, Im always jumping around and throwing ideas out. I currently have an street legal E model. Love the bike but i been thinking i want something newer eventually so i been researching. Are there any Dual sports out there that are going to have Near the same reliability and low maintenance as the drz? I know im going to be spending more money and thats fine. I want a little more up to date and faster. Im not scared of tinkering and checking valves or anything but would lke to keep it somewhat near what my drz does for me with maintenance. I would commute with it and basically blast around the streets very often as i ride alot. I want something more "street able" then a barely street legal Ktm 525.. I'm trying to explain it best I can, and I know you can't have everything but im willing to Sacrifice slightly if I decide to go this route.

Betas? aprilias? husaberg? my brother has a 690 ktm and its a little big feeling so im going to count that one out... any ideas and suggestions lemme know thanks guys!!

-Zach

Well do you want a thumper, twin, bigger bike, smaller nimble bike? I'd stay away from the exotic bikes you want reliable and easy to maintain.

Don't forget the Husky. Something fuel injected 450.....???

A DRZ 400S is a decent DS bike, not to good for interstates, but good for secondaries.

How about a WR450???

Something along the siZe of my current bike (e model), nothing over 300 lbs. my brother Ktm 690 is really nice its just a little big for me. Like a beta 520 size. I have to read more about them but those exotics are little scary to me. Because I ride off road but 75 percent is on road (commuting,errands and for fun) that's why I have supermoto set as well for my E.

The wr450, now is that comparable to the barely road legal Ktm 450 or the 525 cause I get nervous with those kind of bikes with driving a lot on road and cruising at highway speeds.

With my current bike, I know I can do it but I don't , I want something roadworthy like a drz so if I decided to shoot up to my fathers on CT I can , without worrying cruisin at those types of speeds. I know it's confusing. Thanks for reply.

Something similar ( I know it's not gonna be exactly the same) to drz with reliability and low maintenance, and to be able around town and highway trips without worrying. Just a bike a little newer, upto date, and quicker. Like I said, I'm just trying to pick some brains to see what else is out there that I know of and what I don't know

the other day there was a cr500 street legal & plated on craigslist! I wanted it sooo bad, but it wasnt in my budget.. Im always looking for street legal smokers.

Maybe Eddies 50 hp motor option? That would be reliable and pull some taller gears for highway riding.

That's where I'm at... I been thinking of throwing a big bore on my E with the mrd pipe but then I'm thinking should I put that money to a bike that's newer, better suspension, probably fastEr then if I do the work on my bike and about same weight as my E and more modern and sick looking but this is where I'm at now posting in the forum to get people's ideas and my own homework with researching.

I don't know of a bike out there that can match the reliability of the drz while still vastly out performing it :bonk:

I understand that you want to update to a newer bike and sometimes throwing money at the drz seems pointless, but for reliability after being built, i dont think there is a bike that can match it:thinking:

I don't know of a bike out there that can match the reliability of the drz while still vastly out performing it :bonk:

I understand that you want to update to a newer bike and sometimes throwing money at the drz seems pointless, but for reliability after being built, i dont think there is a bike that can match it:thinking:

I know kaiser, I hear ya. It's tough.

It doesn't have to match the reliability because I'm pretty handy but I just don't wanna be tinkering with it every 2 -3 thousand miles ( like I've read the Ktm 525 and those dual sports)

A little more then my normal stuff is fine by me. It's very difficult to explain over forums, ugh

Maybe keep your DRZ and get a Kawasaki Versys. I know its not DRZ "like" but they look like a lot of fun to ride. Just a thought :bonk:

Over all the DRZ is still hard to beat. I'd say time for some modern upgrades for the DRZ and an engine performance package.

Sounds like you really like the DRZ but want something more capable and comfortable on road. DRZ's are fun on back roads and off road, but for on road performance a bigger more street able bike is nice too. If the 300 lbs weight limit is you main criteria then just stick to the DRZ and don't read any farther......

The DRZ wouldn't be my choice for long road miles as it requires more oil changes and won't last 10's of thousands of miles like a good street bike. Thumpers will require more tinkering. Have you thought of a bigger twin?? Verseys, KLR 650, Tiger, F650, Tenere, all more streetable than a DRZ, plus capable of moderate dual sport rides.

The DRZ is very capable of Dual Sporting, more off road than road capable....but if you really want light weight then a WR250 is good but, not that much better than a DRZ off road, and not better on road.

ON the DRZ, you can have the suspension set up professionally for huge improvements. If you get into modifying the motor there will be tradeoffs, less durability and more noise. Those loud mufflers can be entertaining, but might become more of a headache over time.

Sounds like you really like the DRZ but want something more capable and comfortable on road. DRZ's are fun on back roads and off road, but for on road performance a bigger more street able bike is nice too. If the 300 lbs weight limit is you main criteria then just stick to the DRZ and don't read any farther......

The DRZ wouldn't be my choice for long road miles as it requires more oil changes and won't last 10's of thousands of miles like a good street bike. Thumpers will require more tinkering. Have you thought of a bigger twin?? Verseys, KLR 650, Tiger, F650, Tenere, all more streetable than a DRZ, plus capable of moderate dual sport rides.

The DRZ is very capable of Dual Sporting, more off road than road capable....but if you really want light weight then a WR250 is good but, not that much better than a DRZ off road, and not better on road.

ON the DRZ, you can have the suspension set up professionally for huge improvements. If you get into modifying the motor there will be tradeoffs, less durability and more noise. Those loud mufflers can be entertaining, but might become more of a headache over time.

Thanks Harley

I definitely would like to keep the size around the drz , ktms and wr450. That's withouth a doubt. Love the look of the bikes this siZe.

Te610 look nice but not thrilled with the feeling I get with it when riding. My brother has one as well ( my other brother).

I gotta continue doing research but I'm gathering alot of the sporty sick look looking dual sports remind me of the Ktm 450, and 520,525 because I'm reading that they put the bare necessities to just make it legal but that doesn't help when I wanna use it off road but also as my toy and commuting because they won't last?

Hmm.

Ha we need to go riding lol...anyway if I were you, I would get a 525 exc ktm or a 450 ktm, great reliability with a tad but up on maintaince...a husky is also a good option. If you want low low low maintaince, stay away from husas, apes, and other exotics like that. Those are the lambos and ferraris of sumos...but yeah, um, I have my sm now so.......lol, maybe you cab try out the ktm?

I'm a get a second bike for the road trips guy. A nice SV can be had for $3K and then ya can spring for a beta/husky/berg for dual sporting as ya save up. :bonk:

Ha we need to go riding lol...anyway if I were you, I would get a 525 exc ktm or a 450 ktm, great reliability with a tad but up on maintaince...a husky is also a good option. If you want low low low maintaince, stay away from husas, apes, and other exotics like that. Those are the lambos and ferraris of sumos...but yeah, um, I have my sm now so.......lol, maybe you cab try out the ktm?

Yea man so your bike, it's nice. I still ride a bit cause I don't work to far away but other then that it's a little cold to ride or am I crazy for saying that hahaha.

Ive ridden Ktm 525 before the thing is unreal and with a super set on it, game over but there not really meant to cruising all day because if I'm not in trails, I hop on parkways and stuff too. Ugh no happy medium. Wonder if I should post this in general of something just to see what people chime in with there bikes and there opinions

Yea man so your bike, it's nice. I still ride a bit cause I don't work to far away but other then that it's a little cold to ride or am I crazy for saying that hahaha.

Ive ridden Ktm 525 before the thing is unreal and with a super set on it, game over but there not really meant to cruising all day because if I'm not in trails, I hop on parkways and stuff too. Ugh no happy medium. Wonder if I should post this in general of something just to see what people chime in with there bikes and there opinions

Yeah man, I ride with ktms a lot, for me I had no issues on sunrise or lie, they're great bikes.

KTM 530 will probably be my next DS, or potentially a Beta 520. That being said, I know they are more upkeep than the DRZ so that is part of the equation. Its a dealbreaker for some, not for others. The only other bike I would consider if you want same or less upkeep is a XR400 or XR650, they are the only bike I know of that is just as bulletproof with same or less upkeep.

I have my heart set in getting a Honda 650 and give my drz to my girl when she stops riding quads. I'm so ashamed.