Sign in to follow this  

New (to me) CRF80 for Daughters

Hello! Been reading here for a month or so, but decided to join today. I am a street rider (currently have a Ducati Monster that I take to the track and a Harley Iron) and am building a Suzuki Cafe Racer. BUT, I am very new to dirt riding. I acquired a 2004 Honda CRF 80F for my daughters for Christmas. So far, we've replaced the coil, plug wire, plug, computer for a Big Gun and Exhaust for a FMF Powercore4 and a new clutch cable. It runs pretty well! I have 2 questions though:

1. There's a definite lag when the throttle is twisted from idle sometimes. Not 100% sure how to address it.

2. My daughters can work the clutch lever, but not as easily as I would like. They are spending too much effort working the clutch which distracts them from other things. Suggestions? the new clutch cable helped a little bit, but really they need the lever to be closer (less reach).

Thanks in advance for any suggestions or advice. I'm excited about getting into the dirt riding world with my girls!

The XR80 carb doesn't have an accelerator pump. If you crack the throttle wide open from closed, you can almost stall the engine (common). Learn to lean into the throttle rather than 'punch it'.

The clutch pull on the XR80 should be fairly mild: the 100 is known to be difficult to pull. An msr raptor perch has been often recommended for reduced pull effort (http://www.stuntreview.com/product/clutch-perch-lever/msr-pro-raptor-ez-pull-clutch/).

Use proper oil (no need for synthetic, just JASO-MA rated motorcycle engine oil), set your valves to .002" cold and ride the crap out of it. Great bike.

Thanks! The no-accelerator pump makes sense. I didn't think about that. One thing I want them to work on is smooth throttle control anyway!

It's not so much the clutch lever pull that's the problem, but the reach to get to the lever. Does that MSR you recommended offer a shorter reach? It's certainly not a bad price.

Thanks! The no-accelerator pump makes sense. I didn't think about that. One thing I want them to work on is smooth throttle control anyway!

It's not so much the clutch lever pull that's the problem, but the reach to get to the lever. Does that MSR you recommended offer a shorter reach? It's certainly not a bad price.

I run the shorty lever, yes less reach than stock. Can't say for the standard but by the look of it, yes. The other thing you might consider is going to a CR mid bend set of bars vs. the stockers; the XR bars tend to be a bit wide (tractor like steering) which is great for learning, but when you're hands are spread that far apart you loose feel / torque on the controls.

ASVs have an adjustable reach, you can adjust the lever to be closer to the bar. ASVs aren't cheap tho. I've been debating getting them for my son's XR80, he's already broken 2 clutch levers while learning to ride. But at $4.00 a lever from Rocky Mountain, I can go thru quite a few levers before I spent the same $$ as buying an ASV setup

well, I just placed an order for one of the MSR ones for a little over $50. See how that goes.

I'm a little confused about the bars still. Can you point me to a set of the mid-bend bars you're referring to?

thanks!

http://www.rockymountainatvmc.com/productDetail.do?navTitle=Handlebars-Control&webCatId=12&navType=type&webTypeId=70&prodFamilyId=1592&listingId=&sizeAttr=2881&colorAttr=

Click on the size drop down menu.

Looks like they don't have or MSR is no longer manufacturing a mid bend bar for minis.

Regardless, a set of low bend (assuming you're daughters aren't overly tall for this bike) mini bars should help considerably (narrower overall).

For the 80, I loved the Tag Mini-Plays. Theytook about 2 laps to get used to, but I would never ride an 80 without them. I used then on one of my 75's too.

We received and installed the MSR Raptor lever/perch last night. It does offer an easier pull and a much nicer feel to the clutch over all. The reach to the clutch lever might be reduced slightly, but not a lot. Seems like it'll be a good upgrade. I was pretty disappointed in the pivot bolt though. I took it out, greased it a little and when tightening the nut on it again I snapped the pivot bolt. I truly didn't think I was overtightening, but obviously I was. Any suggestions on the quickest way to get a replacement pivot bolt?

thanks!

Yeah, it's different. I did call them today and they are sending me a new one along with a shipping label to send them the old one back. Good service!

Mixed up.... Does the bike have a different exhaust?

All I can say is there's nothing better than a (stock) XR-CRF 80 or 100 for someone to learn on.

These bikes have been around forever, there's nothing better.

Modifying is fun BUT makes it harder to learn on.