Sign in to follow this  

CRF 150R Big Wheel Version Too Much?

I am going to look at a bike for my 8 year old. He is big for his age, just under 5feet tall and about 130. He is currently riding a TTR-90 and he looks like a giant on it. He is so crunched up he can't even shift with his riding boots. He is not an aggressive rider but is getting braver. I want something he can grow into an not keep draining my wallet (he got the TTR 3 months ago). I am mostly worried about the height and power. I imagine I am going to have to order the lowering link for now but I will have to see him on it. He sat on a CRF100 and was on tip toes but I don't think he had his full weight on it. He looked good on it but my wife is worried about him stopping and falling over. I like 4 strokes because of the noise (he also rides in the yard) and the controlled power. My wife is worried it will be too much. Suggestions?

The CRF150f is the same height as the R lowered. I am think the R is going to be more fun for him in the long run at the track. He has a really hard time on the TTR bike keeping up with the other kids on 2 stroke bikes.

Get him that bike, hes going to grow quick in the next few years, he might have a bit of trouble in the beginning since its a new bike, but when he gets used to it he will love it

you could always mellow it down until he gets a used to it, front and rear sprocket changes, don't get a crf 100 your going to regret it. and you can lower the spring size if way to high, remember the crf 150 have great suspension and rear and front and if hes 130 it would hold up perfectly

It will last a long time. I only mentioned the 150f because of the power difference between a 150r and a ttr90.

Thanks for the advice. I am going to look at one tonight. It is a 2007 CFR150RB for $2100. He was originally asking $2400. He says it only has about 20 hours on it. It has black plastic and the original plastic. From what I have seen that sounds like a good deal if it is in the condition he says.

I dont know about you guys, but I would NEVER consider putting an 8 year old on a CRF150R. I think that is just crazy. I know you wanna save some money down the track, but you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere, and in this case you are way over it. I suggest that you yourself ride that bike first before making a decision. I think that once you have ridden it, you will keep looking for an alternative. Remember, if you get it and it bites him hard, he may never want to ride again, or may not be physically able to ride. That is the reality of it. I really think in this case that your wife is right. My advice : Keep looking for an alternative bike.

I dont know about you guys, but I would NEVER consider putting an 8 year old on a CRF150R. I think that is just crazy. I know you wanna save some money down the track, but you have to draw a line in the sand somewhere, and in this case you are way over it. I suggest that you yourself ride that bike first before making a decision. I think that once you have ridden it, you will keep looking for an alternative. Remember, if you get it and it bites him hard, he may never want to ride again, or may not be physically able to ride. That is the reality of it. I really think in this case that your wife is right. My advice : Keep looking for an alternative bike.

If your son was just a couple years older definitely the CRF150R would be a good pick but at only 8 I would then have to agree with Swapper.