Sign in to follow this  

01 woods yz125 basic mods

Hello all, feels like there's a bunch of these type of threads out there but I'm trying to get a little more specifics. Bike is a stock '01 yz125 aside from a PC pipe and shorty silencer. Mainly riding/cutting (really need those hand guards asap !) trails currently and am hoping to maybe do some Harescrambles after getting some seat time this upcoming season.

For starters, I see a number of different skid plates listed. Are there any that are maybe a cut above the others in protection/mounting/finish?

Barkbusters? I've seen your traditional full protection variety (suggestions?), but how about the offerings from G2. Specifically the handshield that is open ended?

http://www.g2ergo.com/dirt-bike-g2-ergonomics-products-1/g2-handguards/moto-handshields.html

One reason I ask is that for tranportation I really like using my Canyon Dancers which require you being able to slip the strap over your grips. Could always change it up and go to soft straps around the triples if necessary.

My bike also has the original Dunlops on it ! (bike used no more than 5 hrs. total when I purchased it) They look good, a bit hard, but otherwise seem to do okay but I really have no reference as I'm a street/roadrace rider just coming into the dirt world. Should I be changing those tires out immediately or maybe wait until spring? Tire selection seems to be almost a shot in the dark other than just trying things out yourself and see what works. I've been recommended Millvilles and one of the Motoz variants by two local HS Enduro racers.

Last, I see that going up 1 or 2 teeth in the rear seems the popular choice. Also, going to a O-ring chain? Pro's & con's? I'm used to O ring chains on all my street/race bikes so all I've done with the stock chain is clean it real good with kerosene and give it a good lubing after each ride. Also reading some possible fitment/alignment issues when going to 50 tooth in the rear plus o-ring chain? Just want to get this straight before I go changing things up.

Thanks !

Oring chain probably wont fit. they are wider and don't fit on older 125's. They rub the engine case at the front sprocket.

I settled on 51 or 52 teeth in the rear on my 125 for the woods.

Probably have a hard time finding motoz tires in 19".

I like dunlop mx 51's.

I do similar riding, I like: Flywheel weights, Moose or Acerbics barkbusters (just what I've always used), shortest muffler possible with the fattest expansion pipe possible, Bridgestone 403/404 tires, and a Gutz Racing "soft" seat. I don't think tires would be an absolute necessity with 5 hours, but they can change the feel of the bikes trail manners.

You can run an o-ring chain no prob on that bike... I ran one for several seasons on my 00' which is basically an identical bike!

Im not a trail rider but as far as fit and finish of the skid plate, works connection makes some of the best skid plates Ive ever used. They will hold up to anything you can throw at them.

As far as tires... I like the MX 51 in the rear and a 31 up front and ran this set up since they came out but Ive been having issues with longevity as of late. Tried a set of Bridgestones 403/404 and they were awesome, but recently started using Artrax tire combos from motosport... they last as long as anything Ive used so far and they track very well in everything from sand and mud to blue groove/hard pack and rocky stuff. You can buy 2 sets for the price of one of the name brand tire sets.

The most important mod to make to your bike if you really want to get faster and be competetive is to have your suspension set up!

Definitely put an O-ring chain on there. I played games with standard chains for like 6 years, then put a sealed chain on. Wow, it's awesome. Barely wears and needs much less attention. If clearance is a concern have a look at the DID VT2. I can't give any advice on the gearing as I've left mine stock, but you'll likely need a longer chain if you go with a bigger gear, so make sure you get the 120 length, and shorten it as needed.

I haven't bought one yet, but I intend to try a Hyde Racing skid plate. They seem nice.

Those G2 handguards won't do much to protect your fingers from hard hits. You'll have to go for a full wrap type guard for good protection. I got the Enduro Engineering evolution guards and like them a lot. I use a pair of Tugger bar savers on the bars to tie the bike down.

Lastly, I would probably let the tires go till spring, but I'm kinda cheap when it comes to tires. I ride em till they're quite worn. I've been using dunlop 756's (which I think are discontinued), which I have had decent luck with, but I want to try out Michelin S12XC's next time. Like you said though, tire selection has a lot to do with the terrain and your riding style.

I didnt see anyone mention rad guards but i highly recommend them, smashing a rad is $$$ and will end your ride, guards are fairly cheap protection. I run scorpion skid plate and rad guards, they are made in Canada so im not sure how available they are in the U.S. but i can tell you they are very well made. I would also only ride with full handguards, i have used both acerbis and now cycras, both do the job but the cycras have a bit more room for your hands. As for tires, id throw away the front right now and put on the tire that works best for your area. Id run the stock rear until it was done before i upgraded it. Id also highly recommend a FWW esecially on a 125. gearing totally depends on your area IMO

Edited by dittohead

You can run an o-ring chain no prob on that bike... I ran one for several seasons on my 00' which is basically an identical bike!

I had an '00 and I tried 2 different Oring chains and they did not fit.

DID ERT2 seems to last forever so I don't care about the Oring chains anymore.