Sign in to follow this  

Cleaning Carbs

I have a 07 CRF 450R and a 06 CRF 250X

Can someone provide links OR info on how to clean the carbs. I just had my mechanic do it twice in the last 3 months cuz bikes sat to long again. Is this a DIY type project? OR more hassle then what is worth?

Dose the entire carb have to be torn down and removed from bike or normally can you just take the jets out and clean them?

Can you recommend a small inexpensive ultrasonic cleaning tank that would be good? Also what is the cleaning solution used for cleaning carbs parts?

Also I looked up the specs for both bikes and it dose not say if the carbs on my bikes are CV type are they?

Thanks

Those are not CV, or constant velocity carbs. Those are found on an XR650L or KLR650, and others.

Your carbs are Keihin FCR. Cleaning them is absolutely a do it yourself task. Not every cleaning involves the nuclear option of removing them from the bike, detaching cables, etc. If your bikes have sat for a few months, loosen the clamps and twist the bottom part of the carb towards the left side. This is easier on the R than the X.

Remove the 17 mm bottom bowl bolt after shutting off the gas at the petcock, and you can see the main and pilot. It is amazing how much good you can do with a blast of carb cleaner with the red turbo straw in the hole of the main and pilot, followed by stout blasts of compressed air.

If you were to start the bikes and let them run for a couple of minutes once a month, they wouldn't need much cleaning.

I would always start with the 5 minute option like I described, and see if it cures any driveability issues.

Other than intake size are both carbs on my bikes the same model and configuration?

So are the main and the pilot jets the ones most effected by fuel build up?

IS the pilot jet the same as the slow jet just different name?

What carb cleaner do you recommend?

Can you tell me if the link provided here is the correct spec and data sheets for my carbs?

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/keihin_fcr_manual_views

Thanks for the grate help!

Other than intake size are both carbs on my bikes the same model and configuration?

So are the main and the pilot jets the ones most effected by fuel build up?

IS the pilot jet the same as the slow jet just different name?

What carb cleaner do you recommend?

Can you tell me if the link provided here is the correct spec and data sheets for my carbs?

http://www.pbase.com/jdjetting1/keihin_fcr_manual_views

Thanks for the grate help!

Yes that's the correct info.

You have (4) areas on an FCR carb that give you troubles:

- pilot jet clog: most common. Replace jet to solve

- pilot jet passage clog: use compressed air and spray brake cleaner

- Fuel needle valve corrosion. Needle sticks: remove needle valve, polish off the corrosion, and polish out corrosion inside the cavity it sits in. Replace needle valve if rubber tip has wear on it.

- Accelerator pump nozzle clog: this one usually requires carb cleaner sprayed in from the bottom into a tiny angled hole under the float bowl. You must do this with the throttle Wide Open, to prevent getting carb cleaner on the slide!

Don't use carb cleaner, as a rule, on an FCR carb as it will damage the rubber parts inside.

...and read this....

http://www.dirtrider.com/tech/141_0707_keihin_fcr_carb_rebuild/index.html